We provide comprehensive analysis of economic issues related to standard essential patents (SEPs) and fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory (FRAND) royalties. Our experience includes expert testimony in private litigation and for ITC and FTC investigations involving the following topics:
- Competitive effects of injunctions and exclusion orders
- Antitrust analysis of SEP licensing practices
- Determination and analysis of FRAND royalties
- On behalf of the Federal Trade Commission, supported expert Carl Shapiro in litigation against Qualcomm, which holds a portfolio of patents essential to cellular communication standards.
- Served as testifying expert on behalf of Samsung in Certain Wireless Devices with 3G and/or 4G Capabilities and Components Thereof, an ITC investigation involving standard-essential patents (SEPs).
- Served as testifying expert on behalf of Samsung, a licensee of various SEPs subject to FRAND commitments, in Certain Electronic Devices, Including Wireless Communication Devices, Tablet Computers, Media Players and Televisions, and Components Thereof.
- On a consulting basis, analyzed the potential harm from exclusionary conduct in the market for baseband processors and potential FRAND violations in the licensing of standard essential patents (SEPs).