Bates White has significant experience providing economic analysis and expert testimony in complex international arbitration and trade disputes involving both private parties and government agencies. Our experts have provided testimony and consulting services on economic issues related to contract disputes, estimation of damages, investment due diligence, valuation, intellectual property disputes, pricing analysis, trade policies, international tax policies, government subsidy programs, and competition assessments.
Our in-house experts and economists are complemented by our in-depth network of recognized academic experts, which allows us to tailor our approach to each client and results in practical analyses and strategies. We have established a reputation for quality and trustworthiness, and we have developed the knowledge necessary to successfully navigate complex and fast-paced arbitration and trade proceedings.
Our experts have testified on economic matters related to major international disputes before the following organizations:
- International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)/International Centre for ADR
- American Arbitration Association
- US International Trade Commission
We have provided policy advice to:
- US Department of the Treasury
- European Commission
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
- South Korean Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy (MOTIE)
We have also worked on international matters with competition agencies and other government authorities, including:
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- Brazil’s Council for Economic Defense
- Competition Bureau of Canada
- Competition Commission of South Africa
- Competition Tribunal of South Africa
- Fair Trade Commissions of Japan and Korea
- US Department of Justice
- Federal Regulatory Commission
- International Trade Commission
- Federal Communications Commission
Our international experience spans a wide range of industries, including:
- Consumer products
- Large infrastructure construction projects
- Electricity, natural gas, liquefied natural gas (LNG), and other energy industries
- Industrial products
Our expertise within Bates White is further enhanced by our diverse staff, who speak the following languages: Armenian, Bengali/Bengala, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Czech, English, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Nepali, Russian, and Spanish.
For a full list of our international arbitration and trade–related work, click here. For work related to specific areas of focus, see the drop-down list above.