Bates White has extensive experience examining mergers and acquisitions in the healthcare industry. We regularly provide antitrust analysis and testimony on matters involving payors and providers. Our experts consult on issues such as market definition, hospital market power, and pricing. We have quantified the competitive effects of hospital, health plan, and physician group mergers.
- Retained on behalf of Emory Healthcare regarding its proposed acquisition of DeKalb Medical Center.
- Retained on behalf of Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center regarding its proposed acquisition of High Point Regional Health.
- On behalf of Humana in connection with its proposed merger with Aetna, provided support with responses to DOJ’s second request, analyzed likely competitive effects and barriers to entry and exit in the sale of Medicare Advantage products, and analyzed likely competitive effects in the sale of individual health insurance on public exchanges.
- Served as the consulting expert to the Massachusetts Health Policy Commission, an agency created in 2012 to increase value and access in the delivery of healthcare.
- Provided expert work on economic analysis of likely competitive effects and efficiencies in relation to Highmark Inc.’s proposed acquisition of Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania.
- Provided expert analysis on behalf of the FTC in its proceedings seeking to block Cabell Huntington Hospital’s acquisition of St. Mary’s Medical Center in Huntington, WV.
- Provided expert support on behalf of the FTC and the State of Idaho in Federal Trade Commission v. St. Luke’s Health System, Ltd.
- On behalf of the Missouri Department of Insurance, authored report and provided hearing testimony on the competitive effects of the proposed acquisition of Coventry by Aetna.
News & Insights
- June 18, 2019
- February 19, 2019
- June 26, 2018