David W. DeRamus is a founding member of Bates White and is active in many of the firm's practices, including the Energy, Antitrust and Competition, International Arbitration and Trade, Transfer Pricing and Tax, and Public Policy and Regulatory Economics Practices. For 25 years, Dr. DeRamus has provided economic consulting as both a testifying expert and a consulting economist in a wide range of high-profile matters, testifying in federal and state court, before various federal and state regulatory commissions, and in international arbitration (including before the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)/International Centre for ADR, International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSD), and the American Arbitration Association).
Dr. DeRamus specializes in economic and financial analysis, quantitative modeling, public policy and regulatory analysis, pricing analysis, antitrust analysis, damages analysis, class certification analysis, and valuation. He has an extensive background in international economics, industrial organization, antitrust economics, microeconomics, finance, financial modeling, and statistical analysis.
PhD, Economics, University of Massachusetts
MA, Economics, University of Massachusetts
BA, Political Science, Duke University
- Submitted a declaration in Electric Power Supply Association et al. v. Anthony M. Starr et al., a dispute proceeding related to the Illinois "Zero Emissions Credit" program.
- Testified at trial in ZF Meritor LLC v. Eaton Corp., a monopolization case involving heavy-duty truck components.
- Served as technical expert in a major contract dispute between petrochemical companies in administered expert proceedings before the International Chamber of Commerce/International Centre for ADR.
- Served as testifying expert before the International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes in a royalty dispute involving a large natural gas extraction and LNG project.
- Conducted numerous transfer pricing studies for tax planning, documentation, audits, and litigation for multinational companies involved in a variety of industries.
- Served as testifying expert in XY, LLC v. Trans Ova Genetics LLC, a patent infringement and antitrust dispute in the livestock reproductive services industry.
- Testified on behalf of the Maryland Public Service Commission in proceedings related to the proposed merger of Exelon and Constellation.
- Submitted expert testimony in In re Methionine Antitrust Litigation, a major price-fixing case involving feed additives on behalf of direct action opt-out plaintiffs.
- Testified on behalf of plaintiffs in Jenkins v. Entergy, Corp. a case alleging an improper energy purchasing scheme.
- Testified on behalf of applicants and intervenors in market-based rate proceedings and merger applications before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Served as consulting expert in several cases related to allegations of market manipulation in the natural gas and electricity industry.
- Testified in Allure Energy, Inc. v. Nest Labs, Inc., a patent infringement proceeding, assessing whether a preliminary injunction against the defendant should be granted.
- In proceedings before the American Arbitration Association, testified in a contract dispute between defense contractors on issues related to the materiality of a government investigation, the economic analysis of a subcontract and alleged joint venture agreement, and damages.
News & Insights
- July 11, 2016
- October 26, 2009
- November 1, 2006