Bates White’s experts have extensive expertise as independent evaluators and monitors of competitive procurements, RFPs, and RTO/ISO markets. We have unmatched experience helping Commissions across the country design robust supply portfolios and monitor procurements of all types, from descending clock multi-product auctions to timed reverse auctions to sealed-bid RFPs. Our experts have overseen the successful procurement of billions of dollars’ worth of energy, capacity, and environmental products in a wide variety of market environments, from traditionally regulated states to advanced wholesale markets.
Through this work, Bates White has developed a deep understanding of a wide range of generation technologies. We have experience in working with traditional coal and natural gas-fired generation, on- and offshore wind, solar PV, geothermal, biomass, Integrated Gasification Combined Cycle, and storage technologies. Our knowledge of the costs, risks, and benefits of these technologies helps us provide effective advice to decision makers regarding portfolio construction and procurement design.
- Serving the Hawaii Public Utilities Commission as the Independent Observer for Hawaii Electric Company’s RFP for new geothermal resources.
- Serving the Illinois Commerce Commission as the procurement monitor for multiple RFPs from the Illinois utilities to procure a variety of products, including energy, capacity, Renewable Energy Credits, and Distributed Generation RECs.
- Serving as the Board Advisor for the annual New Jersey Basic Generation Service Auction since 2006.
- On behalf of the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, reviewed Public Service Company of Oklahoma’s application to construct the Wind Catcher Energy Facility.
- Reviewing the design, bid evaluation, and contract negotiation for the Oregon Commission as Independent Evaluator for several unit-contingent all-source and renewable RFPs from PacifiCorp and Portland General Electric.
- Evaluating transactions from Pacific Gas & Electric for the California Public Utilities Commission.
- Assisted the Board of Directors of the Southwest Power Pool in the design, implementation, monitoring, and troubleshooting of their real time energy market and serving as the independent market monitor, producing several State of the Market Reports.
- Serving State Commissions in Maryland, Pennsylvania, DC, Delaware, and Ohio for many years as independent monitors for dozens of procurements to acquire full requirements supply for non-shopping ratepayers.