Wide swings in the price and value of natural gas, oil, and related transportation have triggered investigations, enforcement actions, and private disputes. Bates White’s experts are well-versed in the complexities of physical and financial energy markets, energy industry disputes, and state and federal regulatory issues and enforcement actions. We have analyzed the trading and risk management practices of a number of energy companies and designed risk management processes and compliance functions, including the definition of a risk management function, identification of business models (and related IT systems), and methods of transferring risk-managed benefits to the utility’s customers. We have provided analyses and testimony in cases alleging market manipulation and fraudulent price reporting, class action litigation, and contract disputes and price reopeners.
- On behalf of the Mississippi Public Service Commission, evaluated Entergy’s proposal to join the Midwest Independent System Operator RTO.
- Led a team of experts in economics, power plant emissions control, and power market modeling in the evaluation of the economic feasibility of retrofitting the LaCygne coal-fired generating facility, an aging coal fired generating plant in Kansas, to meet recently adopted and proposed environmental regulations.
- Developed zonal and nodal market price forecasting models of México's interconnected electric power grid using the using ABB's MarketPower and PROMOD IV simulation platforms for dispatch analysis and economic determination of long-term capacity additions.
- For Macquarie Capital, carried out electric power market price and regulatory risk analyses in support of the acquisition of the 396-MW Mareña Renovables wind farm project in Oaxaca, México.
- Conducted a historical and prospective analysis of marginal prices of electricity in the US and México States of Texas, New México, Arizona, Sonora and Chihuahua for a leading US independent transmission developer.
- Performed energy supply and demand assessment for the California/Baja California Border region in response to the California Energy Commission’s need for new statewide energy policies.
- Provided consulting services to the Korea Development Institute on issues related to Korea’s electricity market reform, transmission investment, and generation investment.
- Conducted reliability studies on behalf of Exelon Corporation related to the potential retirement of the Zion, Limerick, Three Mile Island, and Oyster Creek nuclear generation stations.
- Submitted a report to the European Investment Bank related to the development of efficient electricity portfolios for Europe that maximize energy security and climate change mitigation.