Amanda R. Kurzendoerfer is a Partner in the Finance Practice at Bates White where she specializes in providing economic and statistical analysis. She has more than a decade of experience as a consultant in the private sector and is also a Certified Fraud Examiner. In addition to advising government agencies, law firms, and industry clients on issues related to data analysis, statistical sampling, damages calculations, and fair lending, Dr. Kurzendoerfer has provided expert testimony on matters involving deferred interest financing, compensation discrimination, and the regulatory investigation of a large public utility company.
PhD, Economics, University of Virginia
MA, Economics, University of Virginia
BA, Mathematical Economics, University of Kentucky
- Retained as expert for the plaintiff and provided written and deposition testimony in Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection v. Fifth Third Bank NA.
- Led team supporting testifying expert with data and statistical analysis in UMG Recordings, Inc., et al. v. Charter Communications, Inc.
- Supported testifying expert with data and statistical analysis in UMG Recordings, Inc., et al v. Bright House Networks, LLC.
- Supported testifying expert with data and statistical analysis in Warner Records Inc. et al v. Charter Communications, Inc.
- On behalf of Synchrony Financial, assisted the company with its response to a Notice and Opportunity to Respond and Advise (NORA) letter from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), which alleged that retail sales employees misrepresented the terms of deferred interest promotions offered on store-branded credit cards issued by Synchrony. Provided testimony regarding incidence of relevant complaints and analysis of customer outcomes related to deferred interest promotions. The CFPB decided not to recommend an enforcement action related to Synchrony’s actions.
- Supported the expert advising three state attorneys general in litigation against Navient Corp. Numerous state attorneys general alleged that Navient, a student loan servicer, steered borrowers to forbearances (postponing payments temporarily but capitalizing interest owed) without fully explaining the benefits of income-driven repayment plans, misallocated borrower payments, and demanded borrowers make payments before they were due.
- On behalf of the CFPB, supported the expert in Consumer Financial Protection Bureau v. Navient Corporation and Navient Solutions, Inc.
- In New Jersey Primary Care Association, Inc. v. State of New Jersey Department of Human Services, et al., advised the plaintiff regarding the allocation of settlement proceeds among Federally Qualified Health Centers.
- Providing services to the Independent Monitor in monitoring Citigroup's adherence to its settlement with the Department of Justice (DOJ) regarding residential mortgage-backed securities loans.
- Authored reports and testified on behalf of Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) at a hearing before the California Public Utilities Commission regarding approval of a settlement agreement related to an investigation into PG&E’s Locate and Mark practices.
- Authored declaration in a mediation to divide settlement proceeds between two plaintiffs in a case concerning gender-based discrimination in compensation. Used the defendant’s compensation structure and data to determine an appropriate allocation.
- Led economic and statistical analyses for a government agency that used the results in its effort to successfully resolve a multibillion-dollar enforcement action against a major financial institution.
Provided verification of eligibility requirements and statistical sampling strategy to assist with the monitorship of Education Management Corporation’s (EDMC) implementation of a debt forgiveness program under the terms of a settlement agreement.
- Advised the Department of Justice in its investigation regarding certain Wells Fargo stated-income mortgage loans.
- Forecasted benchmark crude oil and natural gas prices to support client risk management strategies. Appeared on CNBC and Bloomberg TV to provide commentary on oil and gas markets.
News & Insights
- January 3, 2023