Dr. Joseph Farrell is a Professor of Economics at the University of California, Berkeley. From 2009 to 2012, Dr. Farrell served as Director of the Bureau of Economics at the Federal Trade Commission, where he was responsible for economic analysis relating to the Commission’s antitrust and consumer protection portfolios. He oversaw important antitrust matters such as FTC v. Intel, In re Omnicare, In re OSF Healthcare System, FTC v. Promedica Health System, and FTC v. Watson Pharmaceuticals, and he was a key member of the team that revised the FTC/Department of Justice Horizontal Merger Guidelines. His prior government experience includes serving as Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Economic Analysis for the Antitrust Division of the US Department of Justice and as Chief Economist for the Federal Communications Commission.
Dr. Farrell is an experienced expert witness who has been retained by US and international government and private clients for internal advice and expert testimony. His widely cited academic research has focused on the economics of competition, mergers, innovation, and network effects. He is an internationally recognized leader for his contributions in industrial organization, regulation and antitrust enforcement, intellectual property, and game theory.
Previously, Dr. Farrell was Chair of the Competition Policy Center at UC Berkeley. Dr. Farrell is a Fellow of the Econometric Society, past President of the Industrial Organization Society, former Editor of the Journal of Industrial Economics, and former Board Member for the National Academies’ Computer Science and Telecommunications Board. In 2016, the Industrial Organization Society awarded him the Distinguished Service Award, which is given annually in recognition of professional leadership in the scholarship and practice of industrial organization.
DPhil, Economics, Oxford University, United Kingdom
MSc, Mathematics, Oxford University, United Kingdom
BA, Mathematics, Oxford University, United Kingdom
- Submitted two expert reports and prepared to testify on behalf of Songkick in Complete Entertainment Resources LLC v. Live Nation Entertainment, Inc., et al.
- Provided rebuttal expert testimony on behalf of Sirius XM in the SARS III proceeding before the Copyright Royalty Board.
- Provided expert analysis and testimony on behalf of Herbalife International of America related to a Federal Trade Commission investigation into the company’s multilevel marketing model in which products are sold through a member network.
- Provided expert analysis to the FCC on behalf of Cogent Communications regarding the proposed merger of Comcast and Time Warner Cable.
- Submitted two declarations on behalf of Comcast in an FCC proceeding on business data services.
- On behalf of T-Mobile USA, filed a declaration with the FCC that discusses possible incentives for a mobile wireless network operator to raise rival costs for wholesale data roaming services, and analyzes several pricing benchmarks that the FCC might consider in resolving disputes about whether contract terms for roaming services meet the ‘commercially reasonable’ standard.
- Served as testifying expert on behalf of Samsung in US International Trade Commission (ITC) cases No. 337-TA-862 and No. 337-TA-868, two related investigations involving standard-essential patents (SEPs). Submitted expert reports and provided deposition and live testimony at the ITC proceedings. Developed and applied a conceptual framework to evaluate public interest implications of exclusion orders, including theoretical and empirical evidence of patent holdup and royalty stacking in the wireless telecommunications industry.
- Offered expert report and deposition testimony on behalf of the defendant in Gulfstream Aerospace Corp. v. Camp Systems Int'l., a copyright infringement case.
News & Insights
- May 8, 2018
- May 29, 2017
- May 2016
- April 16, 2016
- April 2015
- February 21, 2014
- May 2013
- January 3, 2013
- July 2018
- September 30, 2015
- December 2014
- June 7, 2018
- September 15–16, 2017
- May 31, 2017
- September 20, 2016
- June 6, 2016
- April 6–8, 2016
- February 8, 2016
- June 1, 2015
- May 29, 2015
- April 15–17, 2015
- June 23, 2014
- September 18, 2013
- June 27, 2013 – June 28, 2013