George Rozanski has more than 25 years of experience in antitrust analysis. He consults on the competitive effects of mergers and acquisitions and provides antitrust analysis of alleged anticompetitive conduct, including vertical restraints, IP licensing practices, and price-fixing. Dr. Rozanski′s expertise includes the use of econometrics for demand estimation and merger simulation. He has substantial experience analyzing candidate theories of competitive effects in a wide range of industries, both in civil litigation and before US antitrust agencies. Dr. Rozanski has been named among Who’s Who Legal of Competition Economists since 2010 and a Thought Leader in Competition since 2020.
Prior to joining Bates White, Dr. Rozanski served as Chief of the Economic Regulatory Section of the Antitrust Division of the US Department of Justice. In that role, Dr. Rozanski analyzed proposed mergers and acquisitions, single-firm conduct, and proposed changes in economic regulations and legislation that could affect competition and market outcomes. He had responsibility for conducting, supervising, and presenting the agency’s economic analysis in numerous investigations and litigations involving a wide variety of industries, including telecommunications, banking and financial services, intermediate capital goods, differentiated consumer products, Internet music and video distribution services, financial trading platforms, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, steel, defense, and homogeneous manufactured goods.
Dr. Rozanski earned his SB in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology prior to obtaining his MA and PhD in economics from Harvard.
- On behalf of the merging parties, retained to identify competitive overlaps and analyze likely competitive effects of a proposed transaction in the beverage industry. Analysis included retrospective merger analysis and empirical analysis of other natural experiments. Presentations and white papers submitted to Federal Trade Commission.
- Retained as consulting expert on behalf of two merging newspaper publishers to analyze both advertising and subscription aspects of the newspaper business in regard to concerns by the Department of Justice (DOJ) about the competitive effects of the merger. The DOJ let the 30-day waiting period expire, thus clearing the transaction.
- On behalf of Express Scripts, analyzed possible concerns related to horizontal effects of its proposed merger with Cigna in markets for PBM services and Medicare Part D insurance.
- On behalf of DuPont, analyzed likely competitive effects of its proposed merger with Dow Chemical in a wide range of markets, including seeds and transgenic traits, agricultural chemicals, and specialty polymers.
- On behalf of Express Scripts, provided analysis for its acquisition of MyMatrixx and, previously, its acquisition of Medco.
- On behalf of parties seeking to combine their purchasing of generic pharmaceuticals, co-led a team in performing detailed economic analysis to assess whether the expanded Group Purchasing Organization would have anticompetitive buyer market power, also referred to as monopsony power.
- On behalf of CEMEX, S.A.B. de C.V. (“CEMEX”) and Grupo Cementos de Chihuahua, S.A.B. de C.V. (“GCC”), conducted analysis presented to the Federal Trade Commission in support of a transfer of manufacturing and distribution assets for cement from CEMEX to GCC.
Working on behalf of merging hospitals, identified competitive overlaps, assessed relevant markets, and analyzed likely competitive effects.
- On behalf of Holcim Ltd. and Lafarge SA, which proposed a $25 billion merger that would create the world’s largest cement manufacturer, analyzed potential competitive effects in both the United States and Canada for aggregates, ready-mix concrete, and cement.
- Worked on behalf of Dr. Oetker to analyze the competitive effects of its proposed acquisition of McCain Foods’ North American frozen pizza business.
- On behalf of Thermo Fisher Scientific, advised on the likely competitive effects of its proposed $13.6 billion acquisition of Life Technologies, firms that provide analytical and laboratory services and products.
- Conducted detailed economic analysis on behalf of Eli Lilly in connection with its $5.4 billion acquisition of Novartis Animal Health.
- Provided support for expert testimony on behalf of American Express in its litigation with DOJ.
- Provided liability and damages analysis for Dupont in its litigation against Monsanto regarding alleged antitrust and intellectual property violations.
- Provided support for expert testimony on damages on behalf of American Airlines, which alleged anticompetitive conduct by Sabre in markets for airline ticket booking services.
- On behalf of Constellation Brands, analyzed the competitive effects of Anheuser-Busch InBev and Grupo Modelo’s proposed divestiture of brewery and distribution assets to Constellation in response to DOJ's concerns about their proposed merger.
- Provided analysis on behalf of Grifols in connection with its acquisition of Talecris, both companies involved in the manufacture and sale of plasma-derived therapies used to treat a range of medical conditions.
- In Omnicare v. United Health, served as a testifying expert for United Health to assess damages in a lawsuit alleging that premerger coordination led to the joint exercise of monopsony power.
- Provided analysis to Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines in connection with their proposed merger which was under investigation by DOJ.
News & Insights
- November 2022
- July 23, 2021
- December 11, 2020
- July 2020
- February 13, 2020
- January 17, 2020
- June 14, 2019
- May 8, 2018
- May 29, 2017
- May 2016
- April 2015
- February 21, 2014
- May 2013
- February 23, 2012
- February 17, 2012
- February 11, 2011
- February 5, 2010
- March 16, 2011
- February 11, 2011
- July 22, 2010
- June 3, 2010
- November 12, 2009
- November 9, 2009
- July 2, 2020
- June 24, 2020
- May 31, 2019
- June 11, 2018
- June 1, 2018
- September 19, 2016
- June 6, 2016
- June 7, 2012
- March 29, 2012
- June 6, 2011
- March 30, 2011 – April 1, 2011
- March 16, 2011
- June 7, 2010
- May 17, 2010
- October 21, 2009
- June 1, 2009