Arun Sharma specializes in the healthcare and life sciences industries, where he has provided expert and consulting services to both inside and outside counsel, industry clients, and government agencies such as the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). Mr. Sharma has also provided written and deposition testimony.
Mr. Sharma has more than 15 years of experience on engagements involving healthcare mergers, healthcare market power analysis, health plan reimbursements, health plan network issues, provider pricing, pharmaceutical pricing, False Claims Act (FCA), class certification, patent valuations, commercial success, market manipulation, unfair competition law, damages assessment, fraud, contract disputes, and other antitrust issues. Mr. Sharma has led large and complex litigation and consulting engagements, where he combines industry expertise with economic and statistical analyses to develop and answer relevant economic questions in such engagements.
MA, Economics, University of Maryland
BA, Economics, Denison University
- In RTI Surgical, Inc. v. LifeNet Health, submitted an expert declaration on commercial success as an objective indicator of patent non-obviousness on behalf of patent owner in an Inter Partes Review challenge to the validity of certain LifeNet Health patents related to soft tissue graft technology. Provided written and deposition testimony.
- Submitted report on behalf of a large health plan in a Department of Labor investigation regarding the health plan’s reimbursement methodology.
- Served as consulting expert to health plans in multiple matters involving alleged improper out-of-network reimbursements.
Provided consulting advice on potential antitrust risks to several clients evaluating hospital mergers in Louisiana, California, Pennsylvania, Florida, and other states.
- In Sandoz Inc. and Raregen, LLC v. United Therapeutics Corporation and Smiths Medical ASD, Inc., provided consulting and expert support regarding issues of market definition, market power, competitive effects, and irreparable harm on behalf of United Therapeutics and Smiths Medical in connection with Plaintiffs’ motion for a preliminary injunction to enjoin Defendants from enforcing allegedly exclusionary contracts pertaining to ambulatory infusion pumps used to administer Remodulin® (treprostinil) Injections.
- Supported testifying experts in Cigna-Express Scripts merger to analyze possible concerns related to horizontal effects of the proposed transaction in markets for PBM services and Medicare Part D insurance.
- Served as consulting expert and led team supporting testifying expert in an antitrust suit alleging that Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island violated state and federal antitrust law and illegally interfered with contractual relations in an attempt to block Steward’s acquisition of Landmark Medical Center.
- In United States ex rel. Jack Chin v. CVS Pharmacy, Inc., on behalf of CVS Pharmacy, supported the testifying expert on damages in connection with alleged FCA violations associated with alleged kickbacks in the form of prescription-transfer gift cards provided to beneficiaries of certain federal and state health insurance programs.
- In In re WellPoint, Inc. Out-of-Network “UCR” Rates Litigation, provided consulting services to defense counsel. Also led the team that supported the expert on economic issues associated with class certification, including ascertainability of the putative classes, identification and measurement of economic harm, and reliability of class-wide damages methodologies on behalf of defendant WellPoint.
- Provided consulting and expert support in Amneal Pharmaceuticals, LLC v. Purdue Pharma L.P., regarding commercial success as an objective indicator of patent non-obviousness on behalf of Purdue in connection with Amneal’s IPR challenges to the validity of certain Purdue patents associated with OxyContin®.
News & Insights
- January 27, 2020
- April 2013
- February 2012
- June 21, 2006Adopting a Ramp Charge to Improve Performance of the Ontario Market