Arun Sharma specializes in the healthcare and life sciences industries, where he has provided consulting services to both inside and outside counsel, industry clients, and government agencies such as the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
Mr. Sharma provides consulting and economic analyses on engagements involving healthcare mergers, healthcare market power analysis, health plan reimbursements, health plan network issues, provider pricing, pharmaceutical pricing, False Claims Act, class certification, patents, commercial success, market manipulation, unfair competition law, damages assessment, fraud, contract disputes, and other antitrust issues. Mr. Sharma has led large and complex litigation and consulting engagements, where he combines industry expertise with economic and statistical analyses to develop and answer relevant questions in such engagements.
MA, Economics, University of Maryland
BA, Economics, Denison University
- Supported expert testifying on monopoly power, monopsony power, and exclusionary conduct on behalf of a hospital system in its antitrust suit.
- Submitted report on behalf of a large health plan in a Department of Labor investigation regarding the health plan’s reimbursement methodology.
- Supported testifying experts in Cigna-Express Scripts merger to analyze possible concerns related to horizontal effects of the proposed transaction in markets for PBM services and Medicare Part D insurance.
- Provided consulting advice on potential antitrust risks to several clients evaluating hospital mergers in Louisiana, California, Pennsylvania, and other states.
- Provided consulting and expert support to the FTC regarding its evaluation of a proposed affiliation between providers in California.
- Provided consulting and expert support to a large health insurer in an arbitration matter involving contract dispute with a hospital system.
- Provided consulting and expert support on commercial success analyses as part of the evaluation of the obviousness of pharmaceutical patent claims.
- In Federal Trade Commission v. St. Luke’s Health System, Ltd., led project in support of the expert on behalf of the FTC and the State of Idaho.
- In In re WellPoint, Inc. Out-of-Network “UCR” Rates Litigation, provided consulting services to defense counsel. Also led the team that supported the expert on economic issues associated with class certification, including ascertainability of the putative classes, identification and measurement of economic harm, and reliability of class-wide damages methodologies on behalf of defendant WellPoint.
- In Center City Periodontists, P.C. v. Dentsply International, Inc., provided consulting services to defense counsel. Also supported the expert on ascertainability of the class and class-wide damages methodologies on behalf of Dentsply.
- Provided consulting services for Amgen, Inc. in the patent infringement suit Teva v. Amgen.
- Provided consulting and settlement support services to Dey Pharmaceuticals regarding pharmaceutical claims and pricing in United States v. Dey, Inc.
News & Insights
- April 2013
- February 2012
- June 21, 2006Adopting a Ramp Charge to Improve Performance of the Ontario Market