Makeda Murray works in the Environmental and Product Liability Practice, where she leads teams on matters involving damages estimation, asbestos liability valuation, and forecasting. She supports testifying experts, provides consulting support, and manages the preparation and analysis of large, complex data sets used to support expert testimony and counsel in both litigation and settlement. Ms. Murray specializes in data analysis and management and has worked on matters related to the asbestos, insurance, automotive parts, and manufacturing industries.
Prior to joining Bates White, Ms. Murray was senior actuarial analyst for a leading global professional services firm, where she evaluated pension benefit redesign options, developed yearly funding and expense valuation results, and analyzed claims data for corporate clients.
MBA, Strategic Management, The Wharton School–University of Pennsylvania
BS, Mathematics, Howard University (summa cum laude)
BA, Economics, Howard University (summa cum laude)
- Managing the team conducting the standardization, processing, and analysis of abuse proofs of claim data in our role as abuse claims consultant and advisor to the debtor in In re Boy Scouts of America and Delaware BSA, LLC, No. 20-10343.
- Supported the testifying expert and managed the team tasked with quantifying the amounts incurred and paid by an auto manufacturer involved in an arbitration dispute with its insurance carrier over alleged product liability claims.
- Managed the team conducting competitive benchmarking analyses and evaluating the pay shortfall for a client engaged in a tri-party arbitration procedure as a result of a contract salary dispute.
- Provided support to the consulting expert and managed the team that processed and analyzed large, complex data sets to assess the number and value of pending and future personal-injury claims related to the Takata airbag recall.
- Supported the testifying expert during arbitration proceedings on behalf of ACE Bermuda Insurance Ltd. regarding an arbitration claim by 3M Company against the ACE Bermuda-Form policies stemming from allegedly defective masks and respirators.
- Forecasted future product liabilities, and built allocation models for various companies to assist them in insurance valuation, financial reporting, and litigation.
- Led data analyses and provided consulting support on a number of cases regarding product liability and damages estimation.
- Managed benefits analyses, data validation, and valuation projects by establishing workable timelines, delegating tasks/responsibilities and ensuring the timely completion of work product.
- Analyzed and validated data for the de-risking initiative of a Fortune 500 company; the result was a pension obligation reduction of more than $20 billion.
- Evaluated benefit redesign options for companies with large pension plan obligations, collectively saving clients millions in projected benefit obligations.