Angela Rockwell chairs the Life Sciences Practice at Bates White. She provides expertise related to data and statistical analysis in litigation, arbitration, and investigation contexts focused on the healthcare and insurance industries. She specializes in sampling and extrapolation, survey/experimental design and analysis, causation and liability analysis, and damages estimation.
Dr. Rockwell has submitted expert opinions involving statistical sampling protocols and damages extrapolation on behalf of a large healthcare provider, a national health insurer, and an international insurance company. She has also assessed statistical claims and sample projections in matters related to health insurance coverage and false advertising and has estimated liability and damages in several False Claims Act (FCA) cases involving major pharmaceutical companies. She has extensive experience analyzing pharmaceutical and healthcare pricing and reimbursements using large transactional sales and claims databases.
PhD, Cognitive Psychology, University of Massachusetts Amherst (Statistics concentration)
MS, Cognitive Psychology, University of Massachusetts Amherst
BA, Psychology, Elmira College (summa cum laude), Phi Beta Kappa
In this short-form video, learn about her role as an expert and how she contributes insightful analyses in litigation matters.
EXPERT Q&A SERIES
- Retained as a consumer survey expert in a matter involving allegations of fraudulently opened consumer-financial products.
- Submitted an expert declaration assessing the opposing experts’ damages methodologies in a reinsurance arbitration on behalf of a large international insurance company.
Submitted an expert affidavit rebutting a proposed statistical sampling plan in a matter involving usual, customary, and reasonable (UCR) rates for out-of-network emergency services on behalf of a national health insurer.
- Submitted an expert affidavit regarding a statistical sampling protocol in an arbitration involving contractual disputes between a large healthcare provider and a large insurer. Arbitration panel adopted the approach outlined in the affidavit.
- Submitted two expert declarations assessing extrapolated damages and interest calculations based on a sample of claims in a reinsurance arbitration on behalf of a large international insurance company. Arbitration panel adopted the approaches outlined in the declarations.
- Supported testifying expert to rebut opposing experts’ damages methodologies in a reinsurance arbitration, including an assessment of the sample design and extrapolation methodology.
- Supported testifying expert to rebut proposed sampling methodology in a reinsurance arbitration on behalf of a large international insurance company. Provided consulting expertise regarding potential extrapolation methodologies and estimation of sample bias.
- Provided consulting expertise for a chain of healthcare providers facing a government investigation related to the alleged upcoding of claims submitted for Medicare reimbursement. Assessed the Department of Justice’s sampling and extrapolation methodology and evaluated liability and damages using transactional claims data.
- In Sadie Bennett and Melissa Mannino, Individually and on Behalf of All Others Similarly Situated vs. Louisiana Health Service & Indemnity Company (d/b/a Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana), supported testifying expert on industry, data analytics, and economic issues associated with class certification on behalf of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana.
- In In re Teva Securities Litigation, supported testifying expert and provided consulting expertise on antitrust issues associated with alleged misrepresentations regarding the sources of Teva’s profits and the competitiveness of markets for generic drugs.
- In In re National Prescription Opiate Litigation, supported testifying expert and provided consulting expertise on causation and damages on behalf of Allergan concerning allegations of inappropriate marketing of prescription opioids.
- In In re Generic Pharmaceuticals Pricing Antitrust Litigation and in related government investigations, provided consulting expertise on behalf of a large generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in connection with allegations that it conspired to fix prices or allocate markets.
- In United States v. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp., supported testifying expert and provided consulting expertise on behalf of Novartis in connection with alleged FCA violations associated with alleged kickbacks concerning Novartis’s promotional events for ten self-administered drugs indicated for hypertension or type 2 diabetes.
- Supported testifying expert in a series of related fraud cases. Conducted quantitative analyses assessing whether an advertisement accurately presented statistics derived from surveys of physicians, whether those statistics could be projected to a population of United States physicians, and to what extent the airing of the advertisement affected sales.
News & Insights
- April 13, 2021
- October 9, 2019
- June 28, 2018