Mary Dewhurst is an Independent Consultant for Bates White Economic Consulting. She specializes in providing expert testimony; accounting, economic, and financial analysis; and damages analysis. She is a twice-certified accountant, qualified as a US Certified Public Accountant and a British Chartered Accountant, and has provided expert testimony on accounting issues in bankruptcy and copyright cases. In her previous position as an employee at Bates White, she advised government agencies, law firms, and industry clients in consulting engagements, arbitration proceedings, mergers, bankruptcy, and litigation. She also worked as a Manager at ARPC (now Ankura), an economic consulting company specializing in mass torts and class actions. Prior to that, Ms. Dewhurst served for many years advising on complex tax and accounting issues involving both US and UK GAAP, international tax, transfer pricing, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, and audit issues for Morgan Stanley, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Royal Dutch Shell, Deloitte, and Arthur Anderson.
For more information, please contact:
BA, Economics, Cambridge University
- Engaged as an accounting expert in a matter relating to the profits attributable to the unauthorized use of a copyrighted photograph by a restaurant group. Issued expert report.
- Engaged as an accounting expert in the bankruptcy proceedings of a precious metal refinery in a dispute over revenue recognition and inventory recognition under US GAAP. Issued expert report and sur-reply report.
- On behalf of the Special Committee of Purdue Pharma, analyzed the value of intercompany transfers between Purdue Pharma and other entities owned by former shareholders.
- Supported expert on behalf of Anderson News in Anderson News, LLC v. American Media, Inc. with reports regarding allegations that leading magazine publishers and distributors engaged in a conspiracy to boycott magazine wholesaler Anderson.
- Supported expert on behalf of the Department of Justice in the matter S. v. AB Electrolux, Electrolux North America, Inc., and General Electric Company. The Antitrust Division’s challenge of Electrolux’s proposed acquisition of General Electric’s major appliance business was successful.
- In In re Blitz USA Inc., supported testifying expert working on behalf of the settling insurers. Work addressed the sufficiency of the proposed aggregate product liability claim settlement.
- Supported testifying expert on behalf of Kaiser Foundation Health Plan in United States ex rel. Chris McGowan v. Kaiser Foundation Health Plan to provide analysis in connection with alleged False Claims Act violations concerning Medicare Advantage gain/loss bid margins; authored report that identified logical and economic inconsistencies in plaintiff’s allegations and that critically assessed and rebutted damages assertions made by plaintiff’s expert.
- Responsible for US tax planning and compliance matters for Morgan Stanley entities worldwide. Worked closely with US and UK senior management on tax issues, including the change of legal status of Morgan Stanley from an investment bank to a bank holding company as a condition for receiving TARP funds; internal M&A transactions; and tax compliance.
- Designed complex models for Verizon and Sotheby’s to assess the impacts on worldwide profits of changes to their respective transfer pricing policies. This required in-depth analysis of the economic substance of the clients’ businesses and the determination of the value and ownership of difficult-to-value assets such as intellectual property. Awarded a PwC Chairman’s Award at the National and New York level for this work.
- Managed the tax compliance cycle (including tax returns, tax payments, financial statement disclosures, HMRC enquires) for Mitsubishi Group, MGM, and Viglen.