Marti P. Murray is a Partner in the Finance Practice. She is a leading expert in complex financial transactions. She has more than 35 years of experience that includes bankruptcy and restructuring advisory, distressed debt trading and investing, investment advisory, and commercial and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)-related litigation support. Ms. Murray has served as a testifying expert on numerous high-stakes matters involving corporate financial litigation, and she regularly advises financial companies on issues including financial distress, business and securities valuation, solvency, fraud, and industry custom and practice for investment advisers.
Earlier in her career, Ms. Murray was the Founder, President, and Portfolio Manager of Murray Capital Management, Inc., an SEC-registered distressed debt hedge fund firm, the business of which was ultimately acquired by Babson Capital. She has also served on numerous boards of directors and has acted as a court-appointed SEC Receiver for an investment adviser accused of fraud.
Ms. Murray also served as an adjunct professor at the NYU Stern School of Business from 2001 to 2013, teaching bankruptcy, distressed debt investing, and equity analysis/valuation courses. While at NYU Stern, she received awards for excellence in teaching, including Teacher of the Year.
She holds the Certified Valuation Analyst credential and is a Certified Fraud Examiner, with expertise in fraud prevention, detection, and deterrence.
MBA, Finance, New York University Stern School of Business
BA, World Affairs and Chinese, Colgate University
- Retained in SEC v. Ambassador Advisors, LLC, et al. by the Securities and Exchange Commission as an expert in investment industry practices and customs. Submitted affirmative and rebuttal reports and testified at trial. The jury ruled in favor of the SEC and found the defendants guilty of investment advisory fraud.
- In In re The Financial Oversight and Management Board for Puerto Rico, engaged by the Financial Oversight and Management Board for Puerto Rico in connection with the confirmation of the proposed Title III Joint Plan of Adjustment of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. Submitted expert report, provided deposition testimony, and testified at confirmation hearing
- Retained as expert in In re WeWork Litigation in a dispute involving industry best practices regarding reasonable best efforts to finalize transaction agreements and the economic and financial consideration relating to the completion of those transactions. Submitted affirmative and rebuttal reports and provided deposition testimony.
- In In re Altaba, Inc. retained as expert to opine on the amount of funds that should be conservatively held back as security for claims not yet known to Altaba or that could arise subsequent to Altaba’s dissolution. Submitted two expert reports and provided deposition and trial testimony.
- Retained as expert in Kentucky Retirement Systems v. BHEP GP I, LLC, et al., litigation relating to a dispute between the manager of a private equity fund and a public retirement system, which sought remedies related to alleged mismanagement of the funds. Submitted expert report and testified at hearing.
- In In re Lynn Tilton, Patriarch Partners, LLC et al. served as expert for the defendant in an SEC administrative proceeding involving three structured credit products that invested in distressed companies. Submitted expert report.
- Retained as expert in litigation relating to claw-back claims stemming from the Petters Ponzi scheme. Submitted affirmative and rebuttal reports.
- Submitted expert report on behalf of defendant in Public Sector Pension Investment Board v. Saba Capital Management, L.P. Issues included industry custom and practice with respect to marketing illiquid investments for sale.
- Retained as financial advisor to the second lien noteholders in the bankruptcy of Chesapeake Energy in connection with Chesapeake’s proposed plan of reorganization, including with respect to the terms of a proposed rights offering.
- Retained by the SEC as expert in In re Clean Energy Capital, LLC and Scott A. Brittenham, an administrative proceeding brought against a private equity fund involving fees and expenses charged to the fund, the valuation of portfolio investments, and the calculation of carried interest. Submitted expert report
- In In re Sears Holding Corporation, et al., retained as expert in connection with the bankruptcy of Sears, relating to claims for diminution in value of collateral and alleged 506(c) surcharges relating to positions held by certain second lien debtholders. Submitted expert report and provided deposition and trial testimony.
- Retained as expert in an adversary proceeding arising in the bankruptcy of Neiman Marcus. Submitted expert report on alleged damages incurred by the bankrupt estate and unsecured creditors resulting from conduct by a member of the official unsecured creditors’ committee who was pursuing an investment opportunity.
- Retained by the SEC as expert in SEC Westport Capital Markets, LLC and Christopher E. McClure with respect to alleged conflicted transactions of an investment adviser. Submitted expert report and provided deposition and trial testimony.