Jeff Zhang is a Manager in Bates White’s Antitrust and Competition Practice. He has considerable experience leading teams in the review and processing of large and complex data sets. He has worked on a variety of matters, with a primary focus on price-fixing and intellectual property cases; other work has included matters in the automotive, media and entertainment, electronics, and telecommunications industries.
BS, Economics, Duke University (magna cum laude)
- In the Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.–Qiagen N.V. merger, oversaw the cleaning and preparation of transactional sales data to perform a retrospective analysis of competition in a previous acquisition.
- In In re Capacitors Antitrust Litigation, supported the expert in submitting expert reports on behalf of several direct action plaintiffs that include large electronic component distributors and contract manufacturers.
- Supported testifying expert on behalf of investors in disputes over residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) trustees' alleged failure to properly address alleged breaches by sponsors, originators, and servicers.
- In a market manipulation case, oversaw cleaning and preparation of large and complex financial data for a large team of consultants. Assisted in developing a methodology to calculate damages.
- In an arbitration between two major telecommunications companies over fair market value for a contract, supported the expert’s testimony. Oversaw and conducted industry research on the contractual terms that best reflect fair market value.
- In the matter Australian Consumer and Competition Commission v. Informed Sources, on behalf of the ACCC in its Federal Court of Australia proceedings, supported the expert’s analysis of whether the retail gasoline price information provided by Informed Sources lessened competition.
- In the case SOCAN-Re:Sound Pay Audio Services Tariffs, 2007–2016 (Copyright Board of Canada proceeding), supported the expert’s written testimony on behalf of Stingray Digital in litigation involving performing rights royalties for pay audio services.
- In a royalty rates case, supported expert’s testimony. Reviewed prior royalty rate contracts to analyze fair market value and determine an appropriate statutory rate for a music license. The case settled.
- On behalf of various indirect end payor classes of consumers and businesses that purchased or leased new cars, analyzed sales and impact of alleged price-fixing and bid-rigging of automotive components that are incorporated into new vehicles.