Vincent Musco provides expertise in electric industry policy, resource procurement, market design, market monitoring, and market operations. He has served as an expert witness and provided expert testimony on a variety of energy market and ISO/RTO issues, such as pricing in organized electricity markets, the economics of fuel and power purchases by utilities, and FERC open access transmission issues. Mr. Musco has consulted on issues related to market design and operations, economic, antitrust, environmental, and regulatory policy across North America (including in Hawaii, Maryland, Ohio, Oregon, Nebraska, Massachusetts, Texas, New Jersey, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Maine), Alberta, Quebec, Nova Scotia, and Puerto Rico, as well as for FERC and NERC. In addition, he has worked on behalf of private merchant transmission developers designing and executing open seasons and solicitations for transmission capacity that meet FERC requirements.
MS, Economics, American University
BS, Economics (with distinction), James Madison University
- Testified on behalf of the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office regarding three electric utilities’ requests for remuneration payments related to power purchase agreements for service from an offshore wind project.
- Led audit of Nova Scotia Power, Inc.’s natural gas, oil, coal, petcoke, purchased power, and other fuel-related costs and procurement practices, as well as fuel hedging transactions and activities for the 2016–2017 period.
- For the Oregon Public Utility Commission, presented Independent Evaluator's assessment and Final Report on Pacificorp's 2017R Request for Proposals.
- Directed report on Southwest Power Pool’s (SPP’s) Integrated Marketplace design and performed analysis on SPP’s day-ahead market design, including resource adequacy issues, financial transmission rights, virtual bidding, creditworthiness requirements, settlements, and market monitoring.
- Led efforts as Procurement Monitor on behalf of the Illinois Commerce Commission in the procurement of energy, capacity, zero emissions credits, and renewable energy credits from wind, solar, brownfield solar, and distributed generation for three Illinois utilities.
- On behalf of the Mississippi Public Service Commission, provided direct testimony and a recommendation on the results of the Independent Auditor’s Report on the Annual Management Review Audit of Entergy Mississippi, Inc.
- Consulted for SPP’s Board of Directors on a variety of issues, including demand response, distributed generation, bid cost recovery and resettlements, transmission cost allocation, retail electricity pricing, and compliance matters such as FERC’s Order No. 1000 and Dodd-Frank legislation.
- Led a reliability audit of a major US utility on behalf of FERC and the North American Electric Reliability Corporation.
- Consulted on behalf of the Texas Public Utilities Commission in analyzing a proposed acquisition of a major utility.
- Designed and executed open seasons and open solicitations for private merchant transmission developers that meet FERC’s open access and competitive requirements.
- Consulted on behalf of a confidential market participant regarding capacity market design in Alberta.
News & Insights
- January 1, 2022
- May 29, 2017
- May 2019
- October 5, 2017
- April 25, 2017
- February 19, 2020
- February 7, 2020
- January 17–18, 2019