Charles H. Mullin is the Bates White Managing Partner and a recognized expert on statistical and econometric analysis, economic and microsimulation modeling, and insurance allocation. He provides advice and expert analysis on liability and damage issues involving mass torts, class actions, antitrust claims, insurance coverage, bankruptcies, and due diligence for mergers, acquisitions, and spin-offs. Dr. Mullin has authored numerous expert reports and provided expert testimony in insurance matters. He has also written due diligence reports for corporate transactions and he has designed and implemented statistically reliable sampling schemes in multiple contexts. He has more than 20 years of experience providing statistical analysis and economic modeling in both the private and public sectors.
Prior to joining Bates White, Dr. Mullin taught courses in advanced statistical economic analysis and labor economics while on the faculty in the Department of Economics at Vanderbilt University and at the University of California at Los Angeles. Dr. Mullin has published papers on applied and theoretical econometrics and labor economics in peer-reviewed journals, and he is frequently invited to speak at industry conferences.
PhD, Economics, University of Chicago
BA, Mathematics and Economics, University of California, Berkeley
- Authored expert reports, provided deposition testimony, and testified during the estimation hearing in In re Specialty Products Holding Corp., No. 10-11780 (US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware).
- Provided deposition testimony regarding the allocation of insurance recoveries and remediation costs across a multitude of landfills in State of Minnesota v. Associated Medical Assurance Limited. No. 27-CV-08-1912.
- Authored expert report on behalf of taxpayers in the matter Cencast Services, L.P. v. United States. Case Nos. 02-1916 T through 02-1925 T (US District Court of Federal Claims).
- Coauthored a report on the economic viability of the Trust Fund proposed under S.852, the Fairness in Asbestos Injury Resolution (FAIR) Act of 2005.
- Provided extensive consulting services for a coalition of direct action plaintiffs in In re Puerto Rican Cabotage Antitrust Litigation.
- In In re TFT-LCD (Flat Panel) Antitrust Litigation, analyzed liability and damages resulting from the indirect claim on behalf of a large coalition of direct-action plaintiffs in the United States, Asia, and Europe.
- Authored expert reports and testified in numerous confidential reinsurance arbitrations.
- Authored expert reports and testified in numerous confidential Bermuda-form insurance arbitrations.
- Authored expert reports and testified in numerous inter-insurance contribution claims.
- Authored expert reports in series of matters related to Wyndham Vacation Resorts.
- Authored expert report and declaration and provided deposition testimony in Appleton Papers Inc.
- Coauthored letters supporting the approximately $700 million international legacy asbestos liability and related insurance valuations.
- Coauthored expert report and provided testimony on behalf of multiple insurance companies in In re: Blitz USA.
- Authored expert reports and declarations and testified in In re Plant Insulation Co.
- Assessed the value of pending and future asbestos-related personal injury claims on behalf of debtors in In re: Garlock Sealing Techs.
News & Insights
- May 8, 2018
- May 8, 2018
- January 3, 2018
- May 29, 2017
- May 6, 2016
- January 2011
- June 2010
- February 3, 2010
- September 2, 2009
- August 2009
- November 3, 2008
- December 3, 2007
- January 24, 2007
- November 2006
- October 2006
- September 12, 2016
- May 18, 2016
- September 28–30, 2015
- May 19, 2015
- October 10, 2014
- September 16, 2013 – September 18, 2013
- May 14, 2013
- September 10, 2012 – September 12, 2012
- February 23, 2012
- January 24, 2011
- September 13, 2010 – September 15, 2010
- June 21, 2010
- February 25, 2010 – February 26, 2010
- September 14, 2009 – September 16, 2009
- April 16, 2009 – April 18, 2009
- March 9, 2009 – March 11, 2009
- November 6, 2008 – November 7, 2008
- June 12, 2008
- June 7, 2007