In October 2012, McKesson Corporation (McKesson), a healthcare services and information technology company, announced an agreement to purchase PSS World Medical Inc., a distributor of medical products and services, in a transaction valued at $2.1 billion.
Antitrust and Competition
Bates White has significant experience providing economic analysis and expert testimony in complex antitrust and competition matters. We have played a leading role in many high-profile antitrust matters and presented economic evidence before, and on behalf of, competition enforcement agencies around the world. Our exclusive relationship with E.CA Economics offers clients an integrated approach to issues requiring experience and expertise before European enforcement agencies and courts. Both our firms are named in Global Competition Review’s “Economics 20” as leaders in competition economics.
We specialize in analysis of antitrust liability, causation, and damages arising from alleged anticompetitive conduct including monopolization, exclusive dealing, tying and bundling, and price-fixing. Our antitrust and competition experts are highly experienced at analyzing likely competitive effects from proposed mergers and acquisitions in numerous industries including analyses of unilateral effects, coordinated effects, and merger efficiencies. We also have substantial expertise applying economic analysis to questions of class certification including analysis of common impact and feasible damage methodologies.
We are recognized for our ability to support our opinions with sound economic theory and rigorous empirical analyses that withstand intense scrutiny. Our experts are known for their ability to communicate clearly and persuasively to litigators, judges, juries, and government enforcers. We also complement our in-house expertise through an extensive network of leading academics and industry experts.
- February 21, 2014
- Bates White analysis provides support to the FTC’s challenge of St. Luke’s acquisition of Saltzer Medical GroupJanuary 28, 2014
- Donald Stockdale, former Deputy Bureau Chief and Bureau Chief Economist of the Federal Communications Commission’s Wireline Competition Bureau, joins Bates White Economic ConsultingDecember 17, 2013
- Dr. Michael Whinston, Professor of Economics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, joins Bates White Economic Consulting as a PartnerOctober 15, 2013
- Leemore Dafny, Professor at Northwestern University and former Deputy Director of the Bureau of Economics at the Federal Trade Commission, joins Bates White Economic ConsultingSeptember 30, 2013
- Dr. Leslie Marx’s expert analysis concludes that proposed FCC Incentive Auction restrictions would reduce revenues, risk auction failureSeptember 18, 2013
- April 3, 2013
- March 21, 2013
- Bates White Academic Affiliate Aviv Nevo appointed chief economist of the US Department of Justice’s Antitrust DivisionMarch 21, 2013
- March 19, 2013
- Georgetown University Economics Professor and Former FCC Chief Economist Marius Schwartz rejoins Bates White’s Antitrust PracticeFebruary 11, 2013
- Joseph Farrell, Professor of Economics at University of California, Berkeley, and former Director of the Bureau of Economics at the Federal Trade Commission, joins Bates White Economic ConsultingJanuary 3, 2013
- June 14, 2012
- April 2012
- Washington, DC, March 26, 2014
- Berlin, Germany, March 14, 2014
- September 18, 2013
- September 11, 2013
- Washington, DC, June 12, 2013
- Marius Schwartz speaks at seventh annual Trends and Developments in Global Competition Law conferenceBrussels, Belgium, May 31, 2013
- May 1, 2013
- Washington, DC, April 10, 2013
- Washington, DC, March 14, 2013