Communications and Media
Bates White’s Communications and Media Practice provides expert economic services in connection with a wide range of issues critical to these industries, including antitrust and merger analysis; discovery support; expert testimony; auction design; business planning and strategy; cost modeling and forecasting; and support for state, federal, and international regulatory proceedings. Our professionals and affiliates, five of whom are former FCC Chief Economists, have been at the forefront of regulatory and strategic issues facing communications firms and our European alliance with E.CA Economics enhances our ability to provide services on an international scale.
Our experts played key roles in analyzing issues of net neutrality before the FCC and examining the competitive effects of high-profile mergers involving Internet search engines. Bates White’s portfolio of experience also includes work on network unbundling, wireless net neutrality, reverse auctions, the Internet backbone, Section 271 proceedings, a la carte pricing and exclusive dealing in cable, as well as large mergers and business consolidations. We are well-known for our deep, data-intensive empirical analysis and our ability to distill and communicate key economic concepts to attorneys, industry participants, and regulators.
- Joseph Farrell provides analysis of the risks to competition of the proposed Comcast/Time Warner Cable mergerMay 14, 2015
- Donald Stockdale, former Deputy Bureau Chief and Bureau Chief Economist of the Federal Communications Commission’s Wireline Competition Bureau, joins Bates White Economic ConsultingDecember 17, 2013
- Dr. Leslie Marx’s expert analysis concludes that proposed FCC Incentive Auction restrictions would reduce revenues, risk auction failureSeptember 18, 2013
- March 21, 2013
- Joseph Farrell, Professor of Economics at University of California, Berkeley, and former Director of the Bureau of Economics at the Federal Trade Commission, joins Bates White Economic ConsultingJanuary 3, 2013
- May 2011
- Bates White provides analysis to DOJ and European Commission concerning the Google-Yahoo! online search advertising agreementDecember 8, 2008