For the fourth consecutive year, Global Competition Review has named Bates White in its "Economics 20," a listing of the world’s leading competition economics firms. Selection into this group of 20 firms is highly competitive and determined by an independent survey that analyzes the nominated firms’ size, presence of leading economists, recent client successes, historical pedigree, and market visibility.
Price-fixing and horizontal agreements
Bates White has established an outstanding reputation as a leading firm for evaluating allegations of unlawful agreements among competitors. We have been retained in almost every significant international price-fixing matter over the past decade, and we have played a key role in nearly 100 price-fixing settlements. We specialize in assessing claims of price-fixing, bid-rigging, supply restrictions, and market allocation, and in quantifying the economic effects of such conduct. Our professionals routinely provide expert testimony, litigation support, and settlement support to defendant and plaintiff clients.
- In re EPDM Antitrust Litigation and In re PCP Antitrust Litigation—Provided extensive consulting services for a defendant. Supported litigation and settlement efforts, as well as dealings with government agencies in the United States and Europe.
- In re Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM) Antitrust Litigation—Provided consulting services and expert testimony on behalf of several clients on issues of antitrust liability and damages. Submitted expert reports and provided deposition testimony addressing antitrust impact and damages.
- In re Rubber Chemicals Antitrust Litigation—Provided expert services including arbitration testimony to two coalitions of direct-action plaintiffs representing approximately half the market. The arbitration panel unanimously adopted our expert’s damages approach without qualification or change, and used it as the basis of its damages calculation and award.
- Price-fixing in the international freight forwarding industry—Bates White (in conjunction with E.CA Economics) provided economic analysis and data support for a defendant involved in agency investigations in the United States and Europe as well as civil litigation.
- Omnicare v. United Health—Provided expert testimony for United Health to assess damages in a lawsuit alleging that premerger coordination led to the joint exercise of monopsony power. Performed rigorous econometric analysis to simulate but-for pricing and estimate total damages for a range of but-for scenarios. Analysis revealed premerger coordination likely would not have a significant impact.
- In re Polyester Staple Fiber Antitrust Litigation—Provided extensive consulting services for a defendant. Supported litigation, including discovery support, and developed damage estimates and supported settlement discussions and mediation with class plaintiffs and several large purchasers.
- In re Linerboard Antitrust Litigation—Provided liability and damages expert testimony, settlement and mediation support, discovery support, and critique of opposing expert analyses to a large coalition of direct-action plaintiffs including H. J. Heinz Company, PepsiCo Inc., and The Procter & Gamble Company.
- In re Vitamins Antitrust Litigation—Provided extensive consulting services and expert testimony on behalf of a large group of direct action plaintiffs and a plaintiff class in one of the largest price-fixing cases in US history. Supported all phases of the case including expert testimony at trial. Submitted expert reports on liability and damages, and testified at trial concerning damages. Clients included Continental Grain Company, General Nutrition Companies, Inc., and Kraft Foods Inc.
- Donald Stockdale, former Deputy Bureau Chief and Bureau Chief Economist of the Federal Communications Commission’s Wireline Competition Bureau, joins Bates White Economic ConsultingDecember 17, 2013
- Dr. Michael Whinston, Professor of Economics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, joins Bates White Economic Consulting as a PartnerOctober 15, 2013
- Leemore Dafny, Professor at Northwestern University and former Deputy Director of the Bureau of Economics at the Federal Trade Commission, joins Bates White Economic ConsultingSeptember 30, 2013
- Dr. Leslie Marx’s expert analysis concludes that proposed FCC Incentive Auction restrictions would reduce revenues, risk auction failureSeptember 18, 2013
- April 3, 2013
- March 21, 2013
- Bates White Academic Affiliate Aviv Nevo appointed chief economist of the US Department of Justice’s Antitrust DivisionMarch 21, 2013
- March 19, 2013
- Georgetown University Economics Professor and Former FCC Chief Economist Marius Schwartz rejoins Bates White’s Antitrust PracticeFebruary 11, 2013
- Joseph Farrell, Professor of Economics at University of California, Berkeley, and former Director of the Bureau of Economics at the Federal Trade Commission, joins Bates White Economic ConsultingJanuary 3, 2013
- June 14, 2012
- April 2012
- Washington, DC, March 26, 2014
- Berlin, Germany, March 14, 2014
- September 18, 2013
- September 11, 2013
- Washington, DC, June 12, 2013
- Marius Schwartz speaks at seventh annual Trends and Developments in Global Competition Law conferenceBrussels, Belgium, May 31, 2013
- May 1, 2013
- Washington, DC, April 10, 2013
- Washington, DC, March 14, 2013