Saurav Karki is a Principal in the Finance Practice. He specializes in providing consulting, economic and financial analysis, and damages analysis. He advises government agencies, law firms, and industry clients on these issues in consulting engagements, arbitration proceedings, and litigation. Mr. Karki has broad experience in a variety of industries, including financial institutions, cable and telecommunications, defense, pharmaceutical, hedge funds, and software.
He teaches a graduate-level course in healthcare finance at Johns Hopkins University. Mr. Karki has an MBA with a concentration in finance from Georgetown University and is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) charterholder.
MBA, Georgetown University
BA, Business Administration and Computer Information Systems, Wartburg College
- Retained as an expert in a case involving damages related to the alleged wrongful termination of a physician and counterclaim allegations of breach of contract. Provided analysis in support of mediation. The parties settled.
- Co-led the team on behalf of the Special Committee of Purdue Pharma, analyzing the value of intercompany transfers between Purdue Pharma and other entities owned by former shareholders. Performed a foreseeability analysis to evaluate debtor’s default risk over time.
- Led the team supporting the expert in performing asset tracing in connection with a bankruptcy proceeding.
- Co-led team on behalf of the plaintiff in Wells Fargo Bank et al. v. Merrimack Pharmaceuticals, Inc., supporting the expert to perform a valuation of Merrimack’s pipeline of oncology drugs that supported the opinion that the sale of Merrimack’s sole commercial product constituted a fundamental change of the company.
- In In re Mallinckrodt PLC, et al. supported the expert evaluating issues related to the reasonableness of opioid settlement.
- Supported analysis and deposition of testifying expert on behalf of Mayagüez in Mayagüez, S.A. v. Citigroup, Inc. and Citibank, N.A.
- Acted as lead consulting expert in Axel vs. Cressey & Company et al. and supported the testifying expert.
- Supported the testifying expert in Tarrus Richardson v. Tyson Pratcher and Raudline Etienne. Performed damages analysis in a lawsuit related to termination of a private equity fund manager.
- Supported the testifying expert in House of Europe Funding I, LTD v. Wells Fargo et al. in a breach of contract dispute regarding the assets purchased by the asset manager and trustee of a European Collateralized Debt Obligation.
- Led economic and statistical analyses for a government agency that used the results in its effort to successfully resolve a multibillion-dollar enforcement action against a major financial institution.
- Supported the testifying expert in estimating lost profits from premature contract termination to distribute dental regenerative products in the North American market.
- Supported the testifying expert in arbitration proceeding involving a contract dispute between defense contractors.
- Supported multiple testifying experts in Novell, Inc. v. Microsoft Corp., an alleged monopolization lawsuit.
News & Insights
- October 2020
- May 2020
- September 2018, with appendix (updated April 2019)
- February 19, 2018