Auctions and competitive bidding
The FCC has used auctions to assign spectrum licenses since the early 1990s. The use of auctions by the FCC for other purposes is likely to expand, as evidenced by various proposals to use auctions for the provision of universal service. Individual firms may use auctions to choose suppliers, or firms may find themselves in competitive bidding situations. Bates White provides strategic assistance and support for bid participants, and we provide auction design services for those implementing auctions. The Communications and Media Practice leverages the capabilities of eminent academic economists who have expertise in the theoretical and empirical analysis of auctions and competitive bidding. These experts contribute a fresh perspective when assessing the strengths and weaknesses of economic arguments.
- Assisted a wireless company regarding its concerns with proposed rule changes related to the Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) spectrum auctions. Held discussions with key staff at the FCC regarding these concerns.
- Provided support for a number of bidders in the FCC narrowband PCS spectrum auctions. Provided the participants with general background regarding the economic theory of auctions, specific aspects of the PCS auction, and conducted simulations regarding the auction in order to avoid possible pitfalls.
- Gave presentations on the use of reverse auctions for universal service provision internationally. Presentations focused on the lessons of these experiences for universal service provision in the United States.
- Donald Stockdale, former Deputy Bureau Chief and Bureau Chief Economist of the Federal Communications Commission’s Wireline Competition Bureau, joins Bates White Economic ConsultingDecember 17, 2013
- Dr. Leslie Marx’s expert analysis concludes that proposed FCC Incentive Auction restrictions would reduce revenues, risk auction failureSeptember 18, 2013
- March 21, 2013
- Georgetown University Economics Professor and Former FCC Chief Economist Marius Schwartz rejoins Bates White’s Antitrust PracticeFebruary 11, 2013
- Joseph Farrell, Professor of Economics at University of California, Berkeley, and former Director of the Bureau of Economics at the Federal Trade Commission, joins Bates White Economic ConsultingJanuary 3, 2013