Kathleen Nelis works in the Antitrust and Competition Practice, where she assists in the preparation of economic expert testimony and provides consulting support across a variety of industries, including healthcare, communications, and payment cards. She specializes in in-depth industry research and analysis of complex datasets to shed light on antitrust issues that clients face. She has experience supporting both private companies and regulatory agencies through all phases of litigation.
BA, Economics and Communications Studies, University of Michigan, Highest honors
- On behalf of a group of state attorneys general litigating to block the merger of Sprint and T-Mobile, co-managed a team supporting the testimonies of Professors Carl Shapiro and Fiona Scott Morton.
- On behalf of FIS Systems International in HedgeServ Limited v. SunGard Systems International, supported the expert in submitting rebuttal and reply reports, responding to the damages opinions involving application of a most-favored-nation provision for a financial services software.
- Provided damages support to the expert for the In re Packaged Seafood Products Antitrust Litigation This matter related to allegations of price-fixing in the market for canned tuna.
- On behalf of UnitedHealth's health services subsidiary Optum in its acquisition of DaVita Medical Group, assisted the expert with presentations and submissions to the Federal Trade Commission and several state attorney general offices addressing potential horizontal and vertical concerns arising from the proposed transaction.
- On behalf of health insurer Anthem, provided support in a case concerning Anthem’s proposed $54 billion merger with Cigna.
- In Dodson International Parts, Inc. v. Williams International Co., LLC, supported the expert in submitting a rebuttal report, responding to both liability and damages opinions, on behalf of Williams International in an arbitration proceeding involving allegations of unlawful tying and abuse of monopoly power.
- On behalf of Steward Health Care in Steward Health Care System LLC et al. v. Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island, provided support to the expert on analyses of monopoly power, monopsony power, and exclusionary conduct.
- On behalf of Humana in connection with its proposed merger with Aetna, supported the expert in analyzing likely competitive effects in the sale of individual health insurance on public exchanges.
- Supported the expert on behalf of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) in its proceedings seeking to block Cabell Huntington Hospital’s acquisition of St. Mary’s Medical Center in Huntington, West Virginia.
- On behalf of Cogent Communications, supported expert analysis to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regarding the proposed merger of Comcast and Time Warner Cable.
- Supported the expert in submitting three expert reports on behalf of American Express in its litigation with the Department of Justice (DOJ).
- In In re WellPoint, Inc. Out-of-Network “UCR” Rates Litigation, provided consulting services to defense counsel and supported the expert on economic issues associated with class certification and merits on behalf of defendant WellPoint.
- In In re OSF Healthcare System, a corporation, and Rockford Health System, supported testifying expert on behalf of the FTC to analyze the competitive effects of OSF Healthcare System’s proposed acquisition of Rockford Health System in Rockford, Illinois.