Dr. Bennett is an economist with more than a decade of experience providing economic, financial, and statistical analysis as a consultant and academic. In his role as an academic, Dr. Bennett specialized in the development and application of statistical and econometric methods to problems in economics and finance. Since joining Bates White, Dr. Bennett has focused on applying his expertise in economic, financial, and statistical modeling to assess economic damages and the reliability of analyses and opinions put forth by other experts. In this capacity, he has provided expert testimony, served as a consulting expert, supported regulatory agencies with various investigations, and supported other testifying experts on behalf of numerous clients.
Dr. Bennett’s academic research has addressed a range of issues in economics and finance, and he has published in a number of leading academic journals, including the Journal of Financial Econometrics, the International Economic Review, the Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, and the Journal of the American Statistical Association.
Prior to joining Bates White, Dr. Bennett was a faculty member in the Department of Economics at Vanderbilt University, where he taught courses in statistics and econometric analysis to students in the undergraduate, Master’s, and PhD programs. Before pursuing his graduate studies, Dr. Bennett was a licensed Investment Representative at TD Waterhouse, where he executed securities trades for retail clients.
PhD, Economics, University of Western Ontario
Thesis: “Essays on Estimation Risk and Stochastic Dominance in Economics”
MA, Economics, University of Waterloo
MRP: “Option Pricing with Two-State Stochastic Volatility”
BCom, Finance, Ryerson University
EXPERT Q&A SERIES
- Retained as a testifying expert on behalf of plaintiffs in Phoenix Light SAF DAC et al. v. The Bank of New York Mellon to quantify damages related to claims of substandard servicing in the FNLC 2005-1 Trust.
- Led economic and statistical analyses for a government agency that used the results in its effort to successfully resolve a multibillion dollar enforcement action against a major financial institution.
- In the matter In re RFC and ResCap Liquidating Trust Litigation, led team supporting testifying expert with sampling and damages analyses arising out of more than 80 actions that were filed by ResCap after it exited bankruptcy protection to recoup billions of dollars in faulty loans and millions of dollars in legal fees for alleged contract breaches.
- Testified before the Copyright Royalty Board on behalf of the National Association of Broadcasters In re Distribution of 2010–2013 Cable Royalty Funds.
- On behalf of the Department of Justice (DOJ) in DOJ v. Quicken Loans, supported the expert’s written report and deposition testimony on sampling and damages.
- Supported testifying expert on behalf of investors in disputes over residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) trustees' alleged failure to properly address alleged breaches by sponsors, originators, and servicers.
- Analyzed performance of loans to estimate potential harm to investors in a fund holding the loans. Supported the expert in presenting findings to government regulators.
- Advised the Department of Justice in its investigation regarding certain stated-income mortgage loans.
- Supported testifying expert in multiple RMBS matters on behalf of trustees and insurers in disputes over the quality of mortgages pooled into various RMBS trusts.
- Supported testifying expert on behalf of Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc. et al. in disputes over purported rule changes that allegedly had a deleterious impact on the profitability of time share rental businesses.
- In the matter In re Puerto Rican Cabotage Antitrust Litigation, performed economic analyses to assess liability and damages, critiqued opposing expert analyses, and supported settlement discussions.
- Supported testifying expert with the submission of expert reports and the delivery of oral testimony at preliminary and final International Trade Commission hearings in Certain Oil Country Tubular Goods.
- In In re TFT-LCD Antitrust Litigation, supported testifying expert to a large coalition of direct-action plaintiffs involved in price-fixing litigations in the United States, Asia, and Europe. Performed economic analyses to assess liability and damages resulting from the illegal conduct.
News & Insights
- October 2016
- February 28, 2015
- July 2014
- November 2013
- September 2012