Dr. Amit Bubna is a Principal in the Finance Practice. He has over 20 years of academic as well as economic consulting experience in complex business litigation, international arbitrations, and regulatory investigations. As an expert in economics and finance, Dr. Bubna conducts quantitative analyses related to class certification, liability, loss causation, and damages in breach of contract, securities, antitrust, bankruptcy, and intellectual property matters across a variety of industries.
Dr. Bubna has taught at numerous institutions, including The Wharton School of University of Pennsylvania, Robert H. Smith School of Business of University of Maryland, and the Indian School of Business. He has published his research on various corporate finance and economic issues in leading peer-reviewed academic journals such as the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Management Science, and Review of Finance.
PhD, Economics, Stanford University
MA, Economics, University of Cambridge
BA, Economics, University of Cambridge
BS, Economics, Presidency College, Calcutta
- Led team supporting testifying expert with statistical analyses and trial testimony in In re Distribution of Cable Royalty Funds.
- Led team supporting testifying expert with valuing a digitally native e-commerce startup company close to failure following an ownership dispute between the co-founders.
- Evaluated a healthcare company’s capital structure post-spinoff and estimated damages to the company from excessive leverage.
- In a Section 11 matter, assessed upstream supplier’s risk of financial distress to address the equity holders’ claims of alleged misrepresentation of material information.
- Supported testifying expert with valuation of an automobile company’s assets sold pursuant to Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code and developed economic arguments for alternatives to liquidation option.
- Developed economic arguments interpreting a minority private equity investor’s contractual exit right in a dispute with the portfolio company’s majority investor.
- For an international arbitration, co-led team supporting testifying expert to assess the role of private equity reputation and estimating lost future earnings from reputational damage to a general partner of a private equity fund.
- Supported testifying expert’s rebuttal of a distressed debt private equity fund’s loss causation and damages claims from alleged misrepresentations and omissions.
- Led team in analyzing differential impact on retirement plan participants from alleged imprudent fund selection and excessive recordkeeping fees.
- Supported testifying expert with evaluation of performance and fees of funds in retirement plan lineup to assess liability and damages claims under ERISA.
- Analyzed the economics of waterfall provisions for a financial guarantee insurer’s right to payment in a breach of contract claim in a residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) matter.
- Developed economic models to rebut plaintiffs’ damages claims for breach of contract from the passage of the Financial Institutions Reform and Recovery Act of 1989 (Winstar cases).
- Supported experts in healthcare merger cases with material adverse effect or quality of pre-merger due diligence issues.
- Led analysis of corporate board composition and transformation following CEO’s removal on grounds of sexual misconduct.
- Supported testifying expert with assessment of liability and damages claims from alleged predatory pricing in the retail tracking services industry.
News & Insights
- May 2022
- March 22, 2022