- Antitrust analysis
- Applied econometrics
- Damages estimation
- Industrial organization
- Liability analysis
- Opt-out litigation
- Statistical analysis
- Computer hardware and software
- Consumer products
- Food and beverage
- Pulp and paper
- Rubber synthetics
Steven Schulenberg leads some of Bates White’s largest engagements on behalf of many of the firm’s Fortune 500 clients. He advises clients on economic issues related to complex antitrust litigation and collaborates with counsel to develop case strategy.
Dr. Schulenberg is an expert in matters of alleged price-fixing and anticompetitive conduct. He has 10 years of experience in defense and plaintiff matters and works with clients to resolve civil exposure for class and opt-out litigation. He also works with clients under scrutiny from government investigations and provides support for arbitrations and mediations.
Dr. Schulenberg directs the development of economic theories and works with testifying experts on liability and damages issues. He leads large teams responsible for developing affirmative and rebuttal analyses, executing work product, supporting experts in preparation of expert reports, and preparing deposition and trial exhibits.
- Serving as lead consulting expert for large retail plaintiffs in multiple chemical industry and computer hardware and software industry price-fixing matters involving guilty pleas. Leading the development of damages analyses, working with clients on settlement and mediation support, and collaborating with counsel on client presentations and discovery.
- Served as consulting expert in In re DRAM Antitrust Litigation. Directed economic analysis on behalf of multiple testifying experts and oversaw the preparation of affirmative and rebuttal expert reports. Collaborated with counsel on case strategy and led deposition preparation for opposing experts. Supported settlement strategy and presentations and prepared for settlement mediation.
- Oversaw development of the financial and statistical damages analyses for major defendants in In re EPDM Antitrust Litigation and in In re PCP Antitrust Litigation.Worked with counsel to develop class and opt-out settlement strategy. Developed and presented analyses at settlement discussions with class and opt-out plaintiffs.
- Served as lead consulting expert on damages in the landmark microprocessor antitrust case AMD v. Intel. Directed the development of damages analyses in support of settlement. Managed large teams responsible for executing work product, supporting experts in preparation of expert reports, and preparing for deposition and settlement.
- Led a team responsible for submitting a white paper to the FCC in connection with the proposed merger of AT&T and Bellsouth. Developed economic theories focused on likely competitive effects in markets for Internet backbone services. Analyzed concerns relating to issues of net neutrality.
- Served as lead consulting expert on liability for a large coalition of corporate plaintiffs inIn re Linerboard Antitrust Litigation. Collaborated with testifying experts on liability and damages analyses, advised on settlement and mediation, and lead development of client presentations, preparation of evidence and testimony, and critique of opposing expert analyses.
- Oversaw development of the damages estimation for a major corporate defendant in In re Polyester Staple Fiber Antitrust Litigation. Prepared clients for settlement discussions and executed data analysis. Worked closely with inside and outside counsel to support settlement negotiations with direct and indirect plaintiffs.
PhD, Economics, Pennsylvania State University
MA, Economics, Pennsylvania State University
BSE, Electrical Engineering and Economics, Duke University
- Antitrust Law Journal, December 2009