Leslie M. Marx is the Robert A. Bandeen Professor of Economics at the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University. She is an expert in auctions, vertical contracting, antitrust liability, and cartels. Dr. Marx is well known for her innovative ideas in the areas of industrial organization, applied game theory, auctions, procurements, and collusion. Dr. Marx also served as the Chief Economist of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) from August 2005 through August 2006.
Dr. Marx has published extensively in peer-reviewed journals and elsewhere on topics related to industrial organization, applied game theory, auctions, procurements, and collusion. Her published work includes papers on collusive mechanisms, incentives in procurement contracting, slotting allowances, and exclusive dealing.
- Served as a testifying expert in In re Electrical Carbon Products Antitrust Litigation.Submitted an expert report on damages.
- In In re Vitamins Antitrust Litigation, served as a consulting expert. Worked closely with Bates White professionals to examine whether the economic evidence was inconsistent with noncooperative conduct during a period of time predating the defendants′ guilty pleas.
- Provided an expert report and deposition testimony for Liberty Surplus Insurance Corporation in litigation that concerned Oxford Health Plans′ settlement negotiations in a securities class action lawsuit.
PhD, Economics, Northwestern University
BS, Mathematics, Duke University
- April 22, 2014
- Dr. Leslie Marx’s expert analysis concludes that proposed FCC Incentive Auction restrictions would reduce revenues, risk auction failureSeptember 18, 2013
- March 21, 2013
- June 21, 2012
- May 2011
- Robert Marshall, Leslie Marx, and Matthew Raiff awarded Paul Geroski Best Article Prize for paper on cartel price announcementsNovember 10, 2009
- April 2012
- Michigan Law Review, December 2011
- December 2011
- Antitrust Law Journal, December 2009
- Implications for the Analysis of Dominant-Firm ConductChicago Journal of International Law, Summer 2009
- Quarterly Journal of Economics, May 2009
- International Journal of Industrial Organization, May 2008
- May 6, 2014
- September 11, 2013
- Washington, DC, July 16, 2013
- Rome, Italy, June 27, 2013 – June 28, 2013
- May 1, 2013
- Washington, DC, April 13, 2013
- Washington, DC, November 27, 2012
- Washington, DC, June 8, 2011
- Leslie Marx and Marius Schwartz speak at FTC/DOJ Workshop on Horizontal Merger Guidelines Review ProjectWashington, DC, December 3, 2009