- Asbestos and mass tort litigation
- Data decision tools and database design/applications
- Economic modeling
- Financial reporting
- Insurance allocation and valuation
- Liability analysis and forecasting
- Microsimulation modeling
- Statistical analysis
- Asbestos products
- Automotive parts
- Refractory manufacturing
Jorge Gallardo-García, PhD
Jorge Gallardo-García has extensive experience in statistical modeling and data analysis. He performs economic analysis, forecasting, and research as well as discovery support primarily in litigation matters. Dr. Gallardo-García has worked on numerous engagements involving product liability disputes, insurance coverage, and financial reporting. He has also calculated tariffs and estimated energy demands in matters involving electricity and natural gas in Latin America.
Prior to joining Bates White, Dr. Gallardo-García conducted empirical research on social program evaluation, labor and health economics, and demography. As part of his research, he performed simulated policy experiments for evaluating the effects that different government health insurance programs have on infant health, such as universal health insurance and its relationship with parents′ labor market participation. In addition, Dr. Gallardo-García received the first place award in the research category of the 2006 Banamex Economics Award, one of the most prestigious prizes for economic research in México.
- Authored expert reports and declarations and provided deposition and trial testimony on behalf of the Debtors in the matter In re Garlock Sealing Technologies, LLC, No. 10-BK-31607 (US Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of North Carolina). Analyzed large, complex data sets and developed robust random samples that were used to assess the value of pending and future asbestos-related personal-injury claims. The resulting database constructed in this matter was described by the presiding Judge as “…the most extensive database about asbestos claims and claimants that has been produced to date. It is the most current data available and is the only data that accurately reflects the pool of claims against Garlock.”
- Produce annual and quarterly estimates of companies’ potential asbestos and other tort liabilities, and author opinion letters to help clients ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley, SEC, and other comprehensive reporting requirements.
- Estimated and simulated future asbestos-related expenses in litigation contexts.
- Implemented insurance allocation of asbestos-related losses in financial reporting, invoicing, and litigation contexts.
- Designed and implemented statistically representative samples for claim file audits regarding asbestos claims. Samples were used in the estimation of future asbestos-related expenses and insurance allocations in litigation and consulting contexts.
- Directed protocol design and database construction based on data collected through claim file reviews regarding asbestos claims. The products were used to estimate future asbestos-related expenses and insurance allocations in litigation and consulting contexts.
PhD, Economics, University of Pennsylvania
MA, Economics, University of Pennsylvania
MS, Economics, Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México
BS, Economics and BS, Business Administration, Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México
- Uncasville, CT, December 2–3, 2014
- San Diego, CA, September 15, 2014
- Webinar: An asbestos defendant's legal liability—the experience in Garlock's bankruptcy asbestos estimation trialJuly 29, 2014
- Jorge Gallardo-Garcia speaks at Perrin Conferences’ Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation ConferenceBeverly Hills, CA, March 18, 2014