- Antitrust damages assessment
- Data analysis
- Economic modeling
- Insurance allocation and valuation
- Liability analysis and forecasting
- Mass tort litigation
- Microsimulation modeling
- Product liability estimation
- Statistical analysis
- Asbestos products
- Refractory manufacturing
Charles H. Mullin is the Bates White Managing Partner and a recognized expert on statistical and econometric analysis, economic and microsimulation modeling, and insurance allocation. He provides advice and expert analysis on liability and damage issues involving mass torts, class actions, antitrust claims, insurance coverage, bankruptcies, and due diligence for mergers, acquisitions, and spin-offs. Dr. Mullin has authored numerous expert reports and provided expert testimony in insurance matters. He has also written due diligence reports for corporate transactions and he has designed and implemented statistically reliable sampling schemes in multiple contexts. He has more than 20 years of experience providing statistical analysis and economic modeling in both the private and public sectors.
Prior to joining Bates White, Dr. Mullin taught courses in advanced statistical economic analysis and labor economics while on the faculty in the Department of Economics at Vanderbilt University and at the University of California at Los Angeles. Dr. Mullin has published papers on applied and theoretical econometrics and labor economics in peer-reviewed journals, and he is frequently invited to speak at industry conferences.
- Authored expert report and testified during arbitration proceedings on behalf of the Massachusetts Insurance Insolvency Fund in In re the Liquidation of Midland Insurance Company, No. 41294/86 (Supreme Court of the State of New York).
- Authored expert reports and testified during arbitration proceedings on behalf of Munich Reinsurance regarding pharmaceutical-based losses.
- Authored expert reports, provided deposition testimony, and testified during the estimation hearing regarding the value of pending and future asbestos-related personal-injury claims on behalf of the Debtors in In re Specialty Products Holding Corp., No. 10-11780 (JKF) (US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware).
- Provided deposition and trial testimony on behalf of defendant in Cannon Elec., Inc. v. Affiliated FM Ins. Co., No. BC 290354 (Superior Court of the State of California County of Los Angeles).
- Authored expert reports, provided deposition testimony, and testified during arbitration on behalf of Liberty Mutual Insurance Company in a series of related reinsurance arbitration matters.
- Provided deposition testimony regarding the allocation of insurance recoveries and remediation costs across a multitude of landfills on behalf of insurance companies in the matter State of Minnesota v. Associated Medical Assurance Limited. No. 27-CV-08-1912 (State of Minnesota Hennepin County District Court Fourth Judicial District).
- Authored expert report on behalf of taxpayers in the matter Cencast Services, L.P. v. United States. Case Nos. 02-1916 T through 02-1925 T (US District Court of Federal Claims).
- Coauthored a report on the economic viability of the Trust Fund proposed under S.852, the Fairness in Asbestos Injury Resolution (FAIR) Act of 2005, which highlights how compensation criteria specified for the proposed Fund would change the number and composition of claims relative to the current tort environment.
- Provided extensive consulting services for a coalition of direct action plaintiffs in In re Puerto Rican Cabotage Antitrust Litigation. The case involved ocean transportation of goods between the United States and Puerto Rico, and resulted from one of the largest domestic price-fixing conspiracies ever investigated by the United States. Retained in the initial stages of the case to analyze transportation contracts and purchase data to assess damages. As the litigation developed, performed economic analyses to assess liability and damages, critiqued opposing expert analyses, and supported settlement discussions, including participation in multiple settlement mediations. Case settled prior to the submission of expert reports.
- In In re TFT-LCD (Flat Panel) Antitrust Litigation, analyzed liability and damages resulting from the indirect claim on behalf of a large coalition of direct-action plaintiffs in the United States, Asia, and Europe.
PhD, Economics, University of Chicago
BA, Mathematics and Economics, University of California, Berkeley
- Coverage, January 2011
- Coverage, June 2010
- Mealey's Litigation Report: Asbestos, February 3, 2010
- Mealey's Litigation Report: Asbestos, September 2, 2009
- Client AlertAugust 2009
- Mealey’s Litigation Report: Asbestos, November 3, 2008
- Mealey's Litigation Report: Asbestos, December 3, 2007
- Companies Sunk By An Ocean Of Recruited Asbestos ClaimsMealey's Litigation Report: Asbestos, January 24, 2007
- Mealey's Litigation Report: Asbestos, November 2006
- White paper, October 2006
- San Francisco, CA, September 12, 2016
- Philadelphia, PA, May 18, 2016
- San Francisco, CA, September 28–30, 2015
- Philadelphia, PA, May 19, 2015
- Chicago, IL, October 10, 2014
- San Francisco, CA, September 16, 2013 – September 18, 2013
- Charles Mullin speaks at Perrin’s Emerging Insurance Coverage & Allocation Issues in 2013 ConferencePhiladelphia, PA, May 14, 2013
- San Francisco, CA, September 10, 2012 – September 12, 2012
- New York, NY, February 23, 2012
- Charles Mullin and Karl Snow participate in Perrin Conferences' Emerging Insurance Coverage & Allocation Issues conferenceNew York, NY, January 24, 2011
- San Francisco, CA, September 13, 2010 – September 15, 2010
- Chicago, IL, June 21, 2010
- Beverly Hills, CA, February 25, 2010 – February 26, 2010
- San Francisco, CA, September 14, 2009 – September 16, 2009
- Vancouver, BC, Canada, April 16, 2009 – April 18, 2009
- Charles E. Bates and Charles H. Mullin participate in a Roundtable Discussion at HB Litigation Conferences Emerging Trends in Asbestos Litigation conferenceLos Angeles, CA, March 9, 2009 – March 11, 2009
- New York, NY, November 6, 2008 – November 7, 2008
- New York, NY, June 12, 2008
- Charles Bates and Charles Mullin discuss developments in liability forecasting and claims resolution at Mealey's Asbestos Bankruptcy ConferenceChicago, IL, June 7, 2007