Sarah Peters has considerable experience leading teams in areas such as damages estimation, asbestos liability valuation, and insurance valuation. She specializes in developing models and building and analyzing large, complex databases used to support expert testimony and counsel in both litigation and settlement support. As a visiting Manager at E.CA Economics in Berlin, Germany, Sarah was involved in the analysis of cost pass-through in matters both before the European Commission and in private litigation. At Bates White, she primarily supports the Antitrust and Competition Practice and the Environmental Product Liability Practice.
BS, Mathematics and Economics (minor in French), University of California, Los Angeles (magna cum laude)
- Supported the expert in asbestos claims valuation, estimation methodology, and asbestos reinsurance billing on behalf of American Re-Insurance Company and ACE Property and Casualty Company.
- Developed a model used to estimate historical and future damages in support of the expert testimony on behalf of American Airlines in American Airlines v. Sabre.
- Conducted extensive economic analysis on behalf of Express Scripts in connection with its $29 billion acquisition of Medco Health Solutions, two companies in the pharmacy benefit management industry.
- On behalf of construction material manufacturers Holcim Ltd. and Lafarge SA regarding their proposed merger, provided economic analysis of likely competitive effects of the proposed $25 billion merger in markets for cement, ready-mix concrete and construction aggregates in North America and provided support to the attorneys for the parties during the regulatory approval process.
- Implemented insurance allocations and modeled tens of thousands of potential legal and factual scenarios to value policies issued to corporations facing product liability losses. These analyses are used by both insurance companies and policyholders to assist in insurance buyback negotiations, formulating coverage in place agreements, and estimating reserves.
- Forecasted future product liabilities for various companies to assist them in insurance valuation, financial reporting, and litigation.
- Analyzed and cleaned large, complex data sets to assess the value of pending and future asbestos-related personal-injury claims, and provided support to the expert on behalf of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Motors Liquidation Company (f/k/a General Motors Corporation); multiple insurance companies in In re Plant Insulation Co; and the Debtors in In re Garlock Sealing Technologies, LLC.
- Provided support to the testifying expert on behalf of the settling insurers in In re Blitz USA Inc.