Kayuna Fukushima is a Manager in Bates White’s Antitrust and Competition Practice. She has significant experience assessing competition, market definition, and market power in a wide range of industries, including technology, online retail, digital platform, energy, oil and gas, media, and healthcare. Dr. Fukushima has performed a broad range of data-intensive econometric and statistical analyses in support of expert economic testimony, including estimating the impact of mergers (horizontal and vertical) and examining the effects of firm anticompetitive conduct, using difference-in-difference estimation, structural demand estimation, damage estimation, and other economic/statistical techniques.
As part of work involving Big Tech antitrust litigation, Dr. Fukushima has conducted analysis using a variety of large, terabyte-sized data sets. As a member of the firm’s Data Science Committee, she supports the firm’s initiative to incorporate data science tools across practices.
Her academic work has been published in Applied Economics and European Economic Review.
PhD, Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
MA, Economics, University of Tokyo, Japan
BS, Economics, University of Keio, Japan
- Supported testifying expert in a large monopolization case in the tech industry regarding issues of market definition, market power, and competitive effects.
Supported the expert providing analysis of the likely competitive effects of EnCap/XCL's acquisition of EP Energy and helped with the Second Request.
Supported the expert to submit an initial and rebuttal reports in a Canadian class action litigation on behalf of plaintiffs who allege that online retail prices in Canada were inflated as a result of a most favored nation provision between Amazon and third-party sellers.
- On behalf of Thermo Fisher Scientific, supported the expert in analyzing the likely competitive effects of the Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.–Qiagen N.V. merger.
- Supported the expert working on behalf of Bristow in Bristow’s proposed merger with Era.
- On behalf of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., supported the expert in analyzing the likely competitive effects of Sinclair’s acquisition of regional sports networks originally owned by 21st Century Fox.
- On behalf of the Department of Justice (DOJ), assisted experts in the DOJ’s investigation of Sinclair Broadcast Group’s proposed $3.9 billion deal to acquire Tribune Media.
- Supported the expert working on behalf of Emory Healthcare to analyze potential competitive effects of its proposed acquisition of DeKalb Medical Center.
- Supporting the consulting expert to the Massachusetts Health Policy Commission (HPC), an agency created in 2012 to increase value and access in the delivery of healthcare.
On behalf of UnitedHealth’s health services subsidiary Optum in its acquisition of DaVita Medical Group, assisted the expert with presentations and submissions to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and several state Attorney General offices addressing potential horizontal and vertical concerns arising from the proposed transaction.
News & Insights
- September 14, 2022