Charles E. Bates is a founding member of Bates White. Dr. Bates specializes in the application of statistics and computer modeling to large complex litigation matters requiring novel quantitative solutions. He has more than 25 years of experience and has testified in a variety of forums including the US Senate Judiciary Committee, Federal Bankruptcy Court, United States Tax Court, California Supreme Court, and arbitration hearings.
Dr. Bates is the leading expert on methods of asbestos-liability forecasting. He has maintained an ongoing research program on improving asbestos liability estimates. He is regularly retained on asbestos liability matters by insurance companies, corporations, and financial creditors’ committees in federal bankruptcy proceedings. Dr. Bates has published papers on the trends and developments in the asbestos litigation environment and often speaks on these topics at national and international forums.
PhD, Economics, University of Rochester
MA, Economics, University of Rochester
BA, Economics and Mathematics, University of California, San Diego
- Serving as asbestos liability valuation expert on behalf of Bestwall in In re Bestwall LLC bankruptcy proceedings.
- Retained as an asbestos liability valuation expert on behalf of Truck Insurance Exchange in the matter In re Kaiser Gypsum Company, Inc., et al. pending in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of North Carolina, Charlotte Division.
- Served as an asbestos liability valuation expert on behalf of Garlock Sealing Technologies in its bankruptcy proceedings.
- Served as the Individual Claimant Representative on behalf of potential future No Notice Individual Creditors as part of the Amending Scheme of Arrangement for OIC Run-Off Limited (formerly the Orion Insurance Company plc).
- Served as an expert in asbestos claims valuation for financial reporting purposes on behalf of certain Halliburton stockholders regarding Halliburton's financial disclosures of its asbestos liabilities after its acquisition of Dresser in 1998.
- Served as an expert in asbestos claims valuation, estimation methodology, and asbestos reinsurance billing on behalf of American Re-Insurance Company and ACE Property and Casualty Company regarding the proper reinsurance bill.
- Retained as an expert by Fortune 500 companies to produce asbestos expenditure estimates for annual and quarterly financial statements.
- Testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee on the economic viability of the Trust Fund proposed under S.852, the Fairness in Asbestos Injury Resolution (FAIR) Act of 2005.
- Led a team of economists that provided expert services in the historic antitrust case, In re Vitamins Antitrust Litigation, the largest US price-fixing case at that time.
- Served as testifying expert on behalf of Sealed Air in the fraudulent conveyance matter regarding the 1998 acquisition of Cryovac from W.R. Grace.
- Provided expert testimony on behalf of the taxpayers on the statistical basis and accuracy of shrinkage accruals in Kroger v. Commissioner.
News & Insights
- February 3, 2010
- September 2, 2009
- August 2009
- November 3, 2008
- December 3, 2007
- January 24, 2007
- November 2006
- October 2006
- March 16–17, 2015
- September 9, 2014
- July 29, 2014
- April 12, 2012 – April 13, 2012
- September 19, 2011 – September 21, 2011
- June 20, 2011
- March 3, 2011 – March 4, 2011
- September 13, 2010 – September 15, 2010
- February 25, 2010 – February 26, 2010
- September 14, 2009 – September 16, 2009
- March 9, 2009 – March 11, 2009
- March 3, 2008 – March 5, 2008
- June 7, 2007
- February 8, 2007
- December 4, 2006
- November 1, 2006