- Asbestos and mass tort litigation
- Damages estimation
- Data analysis
- Database development, management, and analysis
- Liability analysis and forecasting
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Product liability estimation
- Settlement and mediation support
- Asbestos products
- Automotive parts
Makeda Murray works in the Environmental and Product Liability Practice, where she leads teams on matters involving damages estimation, asbestos liability valuation, and forecasting. She supports testifying experts, provides consulting support, and manages the preparation and analysis of large, complex data sets used to support expert testimony and counsel in both litigation and settlement. Ms. Murray specializes in data analysis and management and has worked on matters related to the asbestos, insurance, automotive parts, and manufacturing industries.
Prior to joining Bates White, Ms. Murray was senior actuarial analyst for a leading global professional services firm, where she evaluated pension benefit redesign options, developed yearly funding and expense valuation results, and analyzed claims data for corporate clients.
- Provided support to the consulting expert and managed team that processed and analyzed large, complex data sets to assess the number and value of pending and future personal-injury claims related to the Takata airbag recall.
- Supported the testifying expert during arbitration proceedings on behalf of ACE Bermuda Insurance Ltd. regarding an arbitration claim by 3M Company against their ACE Bermuda-Form policies stemming from allegedly defective masks and respirators.
- Developed forecasting model used to estimate potential future asbestos-related liabilities based on historical claims. Evaluated the impact of applying various deductible provisions on said liabilities, in support of a large insurance company involved in mediation proceedings.
- Forecasted future product liabilities, and built allocation models for various companies to assist them in insurance valuation, financial reporting, and litigation.
- Led data analyses and provided consulting support on a number of cases regarding product liability and damages estimation.
- Managed benefits analyses, data validation, and valuation projects by establishing workable timelines, delegating tasks/responsibilities and ensuring the timely completion of work product.
- Analyzed and validated data for the de-risking initiative of a Fortune 500 company; the result was a pension obligation reduction of more than $20 billion.
- Evaluated benefit redesign options for companies with large pension plan obligations, collectively saving clients millions in projected benefit obligations.
MBA, Strategic Management, The Wharton School–University of Pennsylvania
BS, Mathematics, Howard University (summa cum laude)
BA, Economics, Howard University (summa cum laude)