- Applied econometrics
- Class certification
- Damages estimation
- Equity, fixed-income, and derivatives securities valuation
- Financial analysis
- Mortgage markets and securities
- Sampling analysis
- Securities analysis
- Statistical analysis
- Banking and financial services
- Financial services
- Fixed income instruments
- Investment products
- Mortgage finance
- Chinese (Mandarin)
Dr. Meng specializes in financial economics and applied econometrics. She has broad experience in performing and presenting statistical, econometric, and financial economic analysis to resolve complex economic problems, support testifying experts, and provide consulting support to clients in litigation cases that involve residential mortgage-backed securities and price manipulation in various securities and financial markets.
- Led the consulting work that addressed statistical sampling and missing data questions in multiple residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) matters. Advised counsel on the choice of sampling and extrapolating strategies.
- Provided consulting support that addressed damages estimation and causation questions in multiple RMBS matters. Advised counsel on economic implications of various structural features of RMBS waterfalls and different methods of demonstrating causation relationship.
- Supported the testifying experts in multiple RMBS matters on behalf of monoline insurers, investors, and government agencies in disputes with mortgage originators and RMBS securitizers concerning underwriting quality for mortgage loans. Analyzed the servicing data and trustee reports, performed and evaluated various sampling and extrapolating strategies, forecasted the future mortgage loan performance, developed models of the RMBS waterfall structures, calculated repurchase and fraud damages, and developed regression models to demonstrate causation relationships.
- Performed economic analysis of holding, pricing, and performance of various financial instruments such as preferred stocks, futures, options, swaps, asset-backed securities, and mortgage-backed securities.
- In Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corp. v. Deloitte & Touche LLP, supported the testifying expert on behalf of Freddie Mac in its dispute with Deloitte & Touche LLP (Deloitte) over improperly performed audits of Taylor Bean & Whitaker Mortgage Corporation (TBW). Assisted the expert in developing economic models to estimate damages to compensate Freddie Mac for all losses due to its purchase or guarantee of TBW loans, and for TBW’s failure to repurchase loans that breached the associated representations and warranties.
- In Mastr Adjustable Rate Mortgages Trust 2006-OA2 v. UBS Real Estate Securities, supported the testifying expert on behalf of the plaintiff. Assisted the expert in developing econometric models to forecast future loan performance to calculate damages suffered by trusts or certificate holders as a result of UBS’s alleged failure to repurchase mortgages that breached the representations and warranties.
- In Ambac v. EMC, supported the testifying expert on behalf of Ambac Assurance Corporation (Ambac) in a dispute with JPMorgan Chase over RMBS. Assisted the expert in analyzing the servicing data and trustee reports and developing econometrics models to forecast the future loan performance in order to estimate damages to Ambac caused by insuring EMC-sponsored RMBS.
- In United States Securities and Exchange Commission v. Mudd et al., supported the testifying expert on behalf of the SEC. Assisted the expert in analyzing the loan characteristics and performance of Fannie Mae’s subprime, Alt-A, and conventional mortgage loan portfolios and developing econometric models to compare the credit risk of various segments of Fannie Mae’s loan portfolio.
- In Financial Guaranty Insurance Company (FGIC) v. Countrywide Home Loans, supported the testifying expert on behalf of FGIC. Assisted the expert in developing the regression analysis to estimate the impact of underwriting quality and loan defects on the performance of mortgage loans collateralizing the RMBS structures.
- PhD, International Economics and Finance, Brandeis University
- BS, Economics, Peking University