- Damages estimation
- Financial econometrics
- Market manipulation
- Predictive modeling
- Sampling analysis
- Statistical analysis
- Investment products
Dr. Bennett is an expert in statistics and econometric methods with considerable experience providing economic, financial, and statistical analysis as a consultant and academic. Dr. Bennett’s research covers a range of topics in economics and finance, and he has published in a number of leading academic journals, including the Journal of Financial Econometrics, the International Economic Review, the Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, and the Journal of the American Statistical Association.
Prior to joining Bates White in May 2013, Dr. Bennett was a faculty member in the Department of Economics at Vanderbilt University where he taught courses in statistics and econometric analysis to students in the undergraduate, master’s, and PhD programs.
- Submitted expert reports to the Copyright Royalty Board on behalf of the National Association of Broadcasters In re Distribution of 2010–2013 Cable Royalty Funds. These reports provided evidence on station and program carriage patterns, an algorithm for categorizing the universe of distantly retransmitted television programs according to agreed-upon claimant definitions, the preparation of a linked royalties-airings database for use in an econometric study conducted under the direction of Dr. Gregory Crawford, and evidence and arguments rebutting opinions offered by other experts.
- Provided support for the US Department of Justice with several of its investigations into mortgage practices by various originators. Support included the design and analysis of simple and stratified random samples, and analysis of mortgage loan performance
- Served as lead consulting expert to address statistical sampling and missing data questions in multiple RMBS matters.
Supported Dr. Charles H. Mullin on behalf of Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc. et al. in disputes over purported rule changes that allegedly had a deleterious impact on the profitability of time share rental businesses. Provided support to evaluate damages and the reasonableness and reliability of opinions offered by Plaintiffs’ expert.
In the matter In re RFC and ResCap Liquidating Trust Litigation, led team supporting testifying expert with sampling and damages analyses arising out of more than 80 actions that were filed by ResCap after it exited bankruptcy protection to recoup billions of dollars in faulty loans and millions of dollars in legal fees for alleged contract breaches.
- Supported Dr. Karl N. Snow on behalf of multiple financial institutions in disputes over the quality of mortgages pooled into various mortgage-backed securities. Provided statistical analysis to estimate the fraction of mortgage loans in the securitized pools that failed to meet the originator’s stated guidelines. Analyzed the underlying risk of the pools and securities, examining loss causation issues, and estimating current damages and future losses.
- In the matter In re Puerto Rican Cabotage Antitrust Litigation, performed economic analyses to assess liability and damages, critiqued opposing expert analyses, and supported settlement discussions. Case settled prior to the submission of expert reports.
- Supported Dr. Michael D. Whinston with the submission of expert reports and the delivery of oral testimony at preliminary and final International Trade Commission hearings in Certain Oil Country Tubular Goods (OCTG) (701-TA-499) demonstrating the deleterious effects of unfairly traded imports of OCTG, including lower levels of investment, profitability, and employment in the domestic oil industry.
- In In re TFT-LCD Antitrust Litigation, supported testifying expert to a large coalition of direct-action plaintiffs involved in price-fixing litigations in the United States, Asia, and Europe. Performed economic analyses to assess liability and damages resulting from the illegal conduct.
PhD, Economics, University of Western Ontario
MA, Economics, University of Waterloo
BCom, Finance, Ryerson University
- Journal of the AmericanStatistical Association, October 2016
- The Journal of Economic Inequality, February 28, 2015
- Estimation of optimal portfolio weights under parameter uncertainty and user-specified constraints: A perturbation methodJournal of Statistical Theory and Practice, July 2014
- International Economic Review, November 2013
- Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 2013
- Journal of Financial Econometrics, September 2012
- Econometric Reviews, 2011