Changes in technology are transforming the music industry, creating challenges for the determination of appropriate royalties.
Bates White is at the forefront of working toward solutions. Our team has experience supporting music service providers in royalty rate-setting proceedings, including before federal courts, the Copyright Royalty Board, and the Canadian Copyright Board.
- Testified before the Copyright Royalty Board on behalf of the National Association of Broadcasters as part of a proceeding to determine the appropriate allocation of royalties that cable systems paid between 2010 and 2013 for their retransmission of distant broadcast television signals.
- Provided expert testimony on behalf of Stingray Digital in its litigation with the Canadian Copyright Board involving performing rights royalties for pay audio services payable for musical works and sound recordings.
- In In re Determination of Rates and Terms for Making and Distributing Phonorecords, provided written and deposition testimony on behalf of Spotify USA Inc. regarding royalty payments under Section 115 of the Copyright Act.
- On behalf of Sirius XM, testified before the Copyright Royalty Board in the Determination of Royalty Rates and Terms for Transmission of Sound Recordings by Satellite Radio and “Preexisting” Subscription Services proceeding.
- Performed consulting work on behalf of National Public Radio in the Web IV royalty proceeding before the Copyright Royalty Board.
- In the matter In re Petition of Pandora Media, Inc., supported the expert analyses, reports, and testimony of Dr. Leslie Marx on behalf of Pandora in its litigation with the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers.
- Provided trial testimony on behalf of Pandora in its litigation with Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI) regarding the royalty rate for Pandora’s use of music licensed by BMI.
- Testified on behalf of Music Choice before the Copyright Royalty Board of the US Library of Congress on the appropriate royalty for digital performance rights in sound recordings.