Tom Lavin specializes in performing empirical analyses of large data sets, conducting statistical and economic analysis, and assisting with discovery support in government investigations and through all phases of litigation. Tom’s work has focused primarily in the life sciences and healthcare sectors, particularly in the context of alleged False Claims Act (FCA) violations. These matters often require analysis of medical claims data and large internal company databases, including sales, product performance, and billing data. He has experience working with counsel during government investigations and settlement discussions as well as supporting testifying experts.
BA, Quantitative Economics, Tufts University
- Providing consulting support in a contract dispute between two pharmaceutical manufacturers. Assisting in liability and potential damages arguments using internal company performance data, IQVIA Xponent data, and IQVIA LAAD data.
- On behalf of a pharmaceutical company facing a government investigation relating to allegedly improper administrative services performed by sales reps, assisting in gathering and analyzing sales rep performance data and provider-level prescribing data to evaluate potential impact of alleged conduct.
- Providing support for a pharmaceutical company facing a class action related to alleged exclusionary rebating. Assisting counsel in discovery phase to obtain data necessary to evaluate allegations.
- In multiple engagements on behalf of a medical device manufacturer facing government investigations related to copay waivers, analyzed company sales data sets, researched reimbursement methodologies, and developed potential exposure models.
- Provided consulting and expert support in National Prescription Opiate litigation. Assisted in stress testing time series models and settlement models. Assisted in drafting potential rebuttal arguments for expert report.
- Served as lead data analyst for a healthcare provider facing an investigation relating to potential FCA violations. Assisted in identifying, obtaining, and analyzing claims data. Assisted counsel in developing sampling methodology, pulling sample claims, and developing demonstratives for discussions with the government.
- Provided consulting support in multiple engagements regarding allegations of kickbacks related to patient assistance programs. Analyzed internal company sales, prescription data, and patient assistance data, and developed potential exposure models.