Randal Heeb has 30 years of experience providing economic analysis in both the private and public sectors. His expertise includes analysis of liability, damages, and other remedies in antitrust and intellectual property disputes. Dr. Heeb has written, consulted, and testified on a range of issues related to the application of economic and econometric analyses in a variety of industries, including software, computer hardware, telecommunications, commodities and financial markets, pharmaceuticals, electricity, natural gas, and gaming.
In 2013 and 2014, Dr. Heeb was recognized by The International Who’s Who of Competition Economists as one of the world’s leading competition economists. Dr. Heeb has previously held various academic posts in the United States and Europe and was most recently a Senior Faculty Fellow at the Yale School of Management. He has served private sector clients and public authorities operating in both regulated and unregulated markets, and he has taught antitrust compliance to executives in North America, Europe, and Asia.
PhD, Economics, University of Chicago
MPA, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
BA, Economics, University of Washington
- Testified before a jury on reasonable royalty damages on behalf of Amgen in a biopharmaceutical patent dispute.
- Testified for NOVA Chemical Company before the Federal Court of Canada on reasonable royalties and patent damages issues.
- In In re Western States Wholesale Natural Gas Antitrust Litigation, submitted multiple expert reports and declarations on behalf of energy trading companies alleged to have violated Section I of the Sherman Act, on issues related to class certification, liability and damages.
- Provided expert testimony on behalf of Tata Consultancy Services Limited, on damages issues in a dispute over the implementation of an SAP Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system for a global law firm.
- Testified before Judge Glazer at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on behalf of Shell Energy North America on issues related to allegations of natural gas price misreporting.
- Testified to an arbitration panel on behalf of Activist in Activist v. Phoenix, a trade secrets dispute in the residential mortgage-backed securities industry.
- Submitted an expert report on behalf of Central Valle Hermoso, S.A. de C.V., in an international arbitration under the rules of the ICC, in a dispute involving a natural gas supply agreement.
- Submitted expert reports and testified before the court in United States v. Dicristina regarding econometric and game theoretical evidence on the question of whether poker is a game predominated by skill or chance.
- Testified to an arbitration panel in an intellectual property and trade secrets dispute on behalf of Scentsy, Inc.
- In In re Natural Gas Commodity Litigation, submitted expert testimony on behalf of Coral Energy Resources, an energy trading company, related to allegations of collusion and price manipulation in the NYMEX commodity futures market.
- Submitted an expert report on damages in MCQ v. Idaho Pizza Company, a dispute involving intellectual property licensing in the franchise restaurant business.
- Submitted an affidavit in Cohen v. Minister of Citizenship and Immigration regarding econometric and game theoretical evidence on the question of whether poker is predominately a game of skill or chance.
- Submitted expert testimony on damages on behalf of the defendant in a dispute over alleged natural gas and financial derivatives price manipulation in E. & J. Gallo Winery v. EnCana Corporation.
- Testimony in a bench trial on the question of whether poker is a game of skill or chance in Minnesota v. Jerde.
- Retained to testify before an arbitration panel on damages for an international seed company, the plaintiff in a patent dispute over licensing of genetic traits for herbicide tolerance.
News & Insights
- January 17, 2020
- June 14, 2019
- February 21, 2014
- May 2013
- December 2014
- March 16, 2011
- November 12, 2009
- Summer 2009
- June 1, 2015
- June 23, 2014
- June 3, 2013
- March 16, 2011
- May 3, 2011 – May 4, 2011
- April 13, 2010