Minjae Song is an expert in antitrust and competition policy, intellectual property, and econometric analysis. Dr. Song has done extensive research on the competitive effects of horizontal mergers, bundle pricing, platform competition in two-sided markets, and research joint ventures in high-tech industries. He has written academic papers about various industries such as semiconductors, computers, pharmaceuticals, media and movies, and e-commerce. In his recent antitrust work he has applied econometric models to assess the competitive effects of horizontal mergers and calculate damages in monopolization cases.
Prior to joining Bates White, Dr. Song was a faculty member at the University of Rochester and Georgia Institute of Technology, where he taught courses in microeconomics, industrial organization, and econometrics at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Dr. Song has published in peer-reviewed journals such as the Rand Journal of Economics, International Economic Review, Journal of Business and Economics Statistics, and International Journal of Industrial Organization on a number of antitrust topics, including a method of quantifying the benefit of innovation, the economic analysis of research joint venture, assessing post-merger outcomes, and the role of advertising in two-sided markets.
PhD, Economics, Harvard University
MA, Economics, Harvard University
BA, Economics, Seoul National University
- On behalf of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., supported the expert in analyzing the likely competitive effects of Sinclair’s acquisition of 21 regional sports networks originally owned by 21st Century Fox.
- On behalf of the Competition Bureau of Canada, supported the expert in an analysis of the proposed merger between Tervita and Newalta, which both provide waste management and environmental solution services to the oil and gas industry.
- On behalf of United Technologies, supported the expert in assisting counsel seeking antitrust regulatory approval for the acquisition of Rockwell Collins. Supported the expert’s development of a white paper submitted to Chinese regulators.
- On behalf of American Express in American Express Anti-Steering Rules Antitrust Litigation with Merchant Plaintiffs, provided support for the expert’s analysis of Amex’s market power and agreements with merchants regarding whether Amex’s agreements with merchants serve or restrict competition.
- On behalf of DuPont, supported the expert in analyzing likely competitive effects of its proposed merger with Dow Chemical in a wide range of markets, including seeds and transgenic traits, agricultural chemicals, and specialty polymers.
Supported expert in cases against two major sporting organizations for their actions to monopolize television and Internet broadcast rights to games.
Provided analysis and expert support for the Department of Justice in analyzing the proposed merger of silicon metal producers FerroAtlantico and Globe Specialty Metals.
- Worked on behalf of Dr. Oetker to analyze the competitive effects of its proposed acquisition of McCain Foods’ North American frozen pizza business.
- Provided a major business consulting firm with an economic analysis on drug pricing strategies in the cancer treatment market.
News & Insights
- February 4, 2016