Michael Brown performs economic analysis, research, and discovery support on litigation matters. He has managed several major engagements involving product liability disputes, and he advises clients on insurance coverage issues.
Prior to joining Bates White, Dr. Brown served as a consultant for a software company, where he designed and programmed the data acquisition component of a laboratory research software package. Dr. Brown has published research articles in several neuroscience journals including Hippocampus, The Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Artificial Intelligence, and Neuroscience Methods.
PhD, Neural Science, New York University
BA, Psychology, Yale University
- Served as lead consulting expert during settlement negotiations involving an insurance coverage valuation dispute related to sports injuries.
- Led team in performing a complex analysis of historical and future asbestos and mixed-dust liabilities, as well as complex insurance allocation analysis involving noncumulation, multiple-occurrence theories, diverse per occurrence and aggregate limit definitions, and choice-of-law questions.
- Authored expert report and provided testimony in an insurance coverage valuation dispute related to asbestos.
- Developed asbestos liability and insurance allocation analysis on behalf of multiple insurance companies involving complex choice-of-law and noncumulation issues.
- Provided mediation support on behalf of insurance company in a Wellington ADR regarding potential coverage for asbestos-related claims that fall outside the Products/Completed Operations exclusion clause.
- Led the development of potential future expenditure scenarios on behalf of major financial institutions regarding bankruptcy proceedings of a major chemical corporation.
- Provided managerial oversight for the development of potential future expenditure scenarios on behalf of unsecured creditors committee in bankruptcy proceedings of a major mining corporation.
- Provided managerial oversight for insurance coverage engagement involving major boiler manufacturer.
- Spearheaded epidemiological research in connection with a multibillion dollar tobacco engagement.
- Developed and supported efforts to improve national cancer incidence forecasting model in connection with several multibillion dollar asbestos liability engagements.
- Served as key investigator in nonmalignant asbestos-related disease incidence research. Helped develop nonmalignant claims-flow analysis and forecast methodology.
- Spearheaded research into idiopathic rates of mesothelioma in connection with forecasting efforts in multibillion dollar bankruptcy dispute.