Mark Chicu specializes in the economic analysis of anticompetitive behavior, mergers, and other complex matters. He has significant experience performing statistical analyses, including developing and estimating models of strategic firm behavior and consumer demand. Dr. Chicu has worked on matters in a wide range of industries, including home appliances, construction materials, health insurance, television and radio broadcasting, electronic payment systems, and magazine publishing.
Dr. Chicu’s own research has most recently focused on strategic pricing and entry decisions made by firms in concentrated industries, and has been published in leading peer reviewed journals such as the International Journal of Industrial Organization, Economics Letters, the Journal of Sports Economics, and Explorations in Economic History.
PhD, Economics, Northwestern University
MA, Economics, Northwestern University
BCom (Hons), Economics, University of Melbourne
- Supported consulting expert on behalf of defendants in a price-fixing matter involving consumer products, performing empirical analyses of potential damage exposure. Supported damages expert in analyses, report preparation, and deposition.
- Provided expert support on behalf of Songkick in Complete Entertainment Resources LLC v. Live Nation Entertainment, Inc., et al., its antitrust suit against Ticketmaster and its parent company Live Nation.
- On behalf of Shaw Communications, analyzed the Canadian wireless market in the context of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission’s (CRTC) call for comments on its regulation of wholesale mobile wireless roaming.
- On behalf of health insurer Anthem, provided support in case concerning Anthem’s proposed $54 billion merger with Cigna.
- On behalf of health insurer Humana, provided support in case concerning Humana's proposed merger with Aetna.
- Supported expert on behalf of DOJ in the matter U.S. v. AB Electrolux, Electrolux North America, Inc., and General Electric Company.
- Supported expert in cases against two major sporting organizations for their actions to monopolize television and internet broadcast rights to games.
- On behalf of construction material manufacturers Holcim Ltd. and Lafarge SA regarding their proposed merger, provided economic analysis of possible competitive concerns in North America and advised the merging parties.
- Provided economic analysis on damages arising from the misappropriation of mobile payment technology.
- In the matter Anderson News, LLC v. American Media, Inc., supported testifying expert on behalf of Anderson News regarding allegations that leading magazine publishers and distributors engaged in a conspiracy to boycott magazine wholesaler Anderson.
- Provided support to testifying expert on behalf of Comcast in an FCC proceeding on business data services.