Laura Kmitch is a Manager in the Antitrust and Competition Practice. She has experience in a range of industries, including retail stores, pulp and paper, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, biologics, and daily fantasy sports, and has worked extensively in the healthcare industry. Ms. Kmitch provides consulting support, performs economic and statistical analyses, and leads teams in reviewing and analyzing large, complex data sets. Her experience also includes supporting testifying experts and private companies through all phases of government investigations and litigation.
Prior to joining Bates White, Ms. Kmitch worked in the Federal Trade Commission’s Bureau of Economics, where she led the expert support teams in the agency’s challenges of the Hershey-Pinnacle and Phoebe Putney-Palmyra transactions and worked on numerous other mergers before the agency. Her research has been mentioned in the New York Times and published in the Antitrust Law Journal and the Journal of Competition Law and Economics.
BA, Economics, University of Maryland
BS, Business Administration, University of Maryland
- Led team and supported expert on behalf of KapStone Paper and Packaging Corporation to provide analysis of the likely competitive impact of its proposed acquisition by WestRock.
- Supported the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) testifying economic expert in the FTC’s successful challenge of Penn State Hershey Medical Center’s proposed acquisition of PinnacleHealth System.
- In the proposed merger between Jostens and American Achievement Corporation, provided support for the FTC’s economic expert in analyzing the effects of the proposed merger.
- Supported the FTC’s economic expert in analyzing the proposed acquisition of Palmyra Medical Center by Phoebe Putney Health.
- Provided support for the FTC’s quality expert in the Agency’s successful challenge of OSF Healthcare System’s acquisition of Rockford Health System.