Laura Hillstrom Finn specializes in running large, high-profile cases in the Antitrust and Competition practice at Bates White. She has executed a wide range of quantitative and qualitative analyses to support expert economic testimony, including analyzing large transactional data sets and identifying major flaws in opposing experts’ data analyses. Her work has also included developing predictive models and examining market manipulation in the energy sector. Ms. Finn has worked on matters related to the electronics, healthcare, and construction industries, among others.
MS, Statistics, George Washington University
BS, Economics, Schreyer Honors College, Pennsylvania State University
- In an intellectual property matter involving music royalty payments, processed and analyzed daily stream counts for tens of millions of tracks of music with a focus on, among other things, the entry of new tracks and the distribution of their plays over time.
- Provided expert support in the LIBOR-based Financial Instruments Antitrust Litigation on behalf of a class of over-the-counter plaintiffs—the OTC class—that filed a class action lawsuit against the global banks that set US Dollar LIBOR.
- Provided expert support on behalf of Humana in connection with its proposed merger with Aetna.
- Supported expert on behalf of DOJ in the matter U.S. v. AB Electrolux, Electrolux North America, Inc., and General Electric Company.
- Provided expert support in In re Optical Disk Drive Products Antitrust Litigation.
- On behalf of construction material manufacturers Holcim Ltd. and Lafarge SA regarding their proposed merger, provided economic analysis of possible competitive concerns in North America and advised the merging parties.
- In In re TFT-LCD Antitrust Litigation, supported testifying expert to a large coalition of direct-action plaintiffs involved in price-fixing litigations in the United States, Asia, and Europe.
Supported the work of Dr. Cory Capps on behalf of the Federal Trade Commission in its proceedings seeking to block Cabell Huntington Hospital’s acquisition of St. Mary’s Medical Center in Huntington, WV.
- In conjunction with ESMT Competition Analysis, now known as E.CA Economics, provided economic analysis and data support for a defendant involved in investigations in the United States and Europe.
- Supported expert in an analysis of class certification issues in In re Ready-Mixed Concrete Antitrust Litigation. Analysis examined testable implications of class-wide impact and suitability of class-wide treatment. Critically assessed assertions made by Plaintiffs’ economic expert.
- On behalf of a major financial institution with multiple mortgage business units, supported experts who provided statistical and economic analysis to respond and comply with government regulatory bodies assessing fair lending pricing and underwriting practices.