Kathleen King has decades of experience as an economist specializing in energy and financial markets. She provides expert testimony and support in litigation, arbitration, and regulatory proceedings. Her work has spanned matters dealing with market manipulation, pricing, bankruptcy, options trading and risk management, as well as power plant construction and contract dispute-related liabilities and damages.
Dr. King has testified regarding alleged market manipulation in energy markets, including assessment of price movements, trading patterns, and fundamental supply and demand factors. She has opined on the fair value of forward contracts for natural gas delivery in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and on reasons for oil price changes and their impact on petrochemical manufacturing costs. She has provided expert support in litigation and arbitration matters involving strategies of trading and marketing organizations, riskiness of trading and risk management practices, transaction pricing, accuracy of public disclosures regarding energy merchant business practices, contract disputes involving power plant construction, cogeneration plant contracts rejected in bankruptcy, cost pass-through in gasoline markets, liability and damages in a contract dispute between chemical manufacturers, and cases involving potential manipulation in financial markets.
Dr. King’s advisory experience ranges from conducting economic due diligence on generating assets and contracts, to market and risk assessment, to price forecasting and valuation, to surveillance of securities and derivatives markets for manipulation. In addition to her consulting experience, Dr. King worked for Capstone Global Energy, Cinergy Capital and Trading, and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.
For more information, please contact:
PhD, Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
MS, Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
BA, Economics and International Relations, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Provided prefiled, deposition, and trial testimony as a rebuttal witness on behalf of FERC Enforcement staff in FERC proceedings in the Amaranth natural gas manipulation case involving allegations of settlement price manipulation.
- Coauthored expert disclosures on behalf of Performance Fibers, Inc. on the causes of oil price movements and their relation to manufacturing costs of petrochemical inputs into the manufacture of polyester fiber. The matter was an arbitration case involving a contract dispute over a price adjustment clause.
- In the bankruptcy litigation matter In re National Gas Distributors, LLC., provided eleven expert reports and mediation support on behalf of members of a joint defense group on (1) the fair market value of forward contracts for the delivery of natural gas following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in response to fraudulent conveyance claims and (2) on contracting practices for natural gas and whether the contracts at issue were commodity forward agreements under the bankruptcy code.
- Served as a testifying expert in a case involving alleged manipulation in energy markets.
- Retained as a testifying expert in a case involving option trading in energy markets.