Frederic (Fred) W. Selck has more than a decade of experience analyzing and explaining complex issues at the intersection of healthcare and economics. Dr. Selck is an expert in healthcare innovation, public and private health insurance, pharmaceutical/medical device pricing and distribution, and healthcare policy. He has applied his expertise in matters dealing with competition, intellectual property, and false claim allegations.
Prior to joining Bates White, Dr. Selck was a Fellow at the National Center for Health Statistics and part of the Health Economics Research Group at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. He was also a Contributing Scholar at the UPMC Center for Biosecurity (now the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security). He teaches graduate-level courses in health economics, innovation, and health care finance at Johns Hopkins University and has published in peer-reviewed journals such as Health Services Research, Statistics in Medicine, and Annals of Surgery.
PhD, Applied Economics, Johns Hopkins University
MA, Economics, City University of New York, Hunter College
BA, Economics, City University of New York, Hunter College
EXPERT Q&A SERIES
Intellectual property and other commercial disputes
- Serving as a testifying expert on behalf of a national pharmaceutical distributor involving the assessment of bona fide services used as part of a Foreign Direct Investment Income deduction.
- Serving as a testifying expert in a German matter on behalf of a global biopharmaceutical manufacturer related to economic damages from an overturned biologic injunction.
- Serving as a testifying expert on behalf of a global pharmaceutical manufacturer in a matter involving whether commercially reasonable efforts were performed in bringing a pipeline asset to market.
- Serving as a testifying expert on behalf of a large commercial insurer in a matter involving claims related to the distribution of prescription opioid products.
- Serving as a testifying expert on behalf of a worker’s compensation insurer in a matter involving pricing data and the reimbursement of prescription drug claims.
- Served as a testifying expert on behalf of the Debtors in the Mallinckrodt plc Bankruptcy in the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware. Opined on the reasonableness of the settlement between the US Department of Justice to resolve False Claims Act allegations related to Mallinckrodt’s Acthar Gel.
Allegations of anticompetitive conduct
- Serving as a testifying expert on behalf of a state in a matter involving allegations of anticompetitive conduct by a Board of Dentistry.
- Serving as a testifying expert in Choker et al. v. Pet Emergency Clinic, P.S. on behalf of two veterinarians in a matter involving alleged non-compete agreements in a regional emergency veterinary care market. Opined on market definition and the price effects of market concentration.
- Serving as the consulting expert in a matter involving pharmaceutical “pay for delay” allegations on behalf of a large third party payer. Analyzed physician prescribing and formulary data to define the relevant market. Analyzed pricing and rebate data to estimate damages associated with the alleged anticompetitive conduct.