Charles L. (Chip) Miller, Jr.’s career has spanned economics and the law. During his 21 years practicing law, Dr. Miller specialized in developing proof of economic damages including expert evidence, estimating clients’ litigation exposure, analyzing insurance coverage and financing issues, and developing large-scale settlement programs. Currently, he is managing the expert teams in the LCDs and urethane antitrust cases. Dr. Miller’s antitrust experience also includes the vitamins, methionine, linerboard, citric acid, lysine, and high fructose corn sweetener litigation. Other litigation experience includes the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Litigation, securities matters including an investigation by federal and state authorities of mutual fund trading, insurance coverage matters, and proceedings under the Wellington Agreement.
Before becoming an attorney, Dr. Miller was a member of the economics faculty at The Johns Hopkins University. He also developed mathematical and econometric software, and produced macroeconomic forecasts and simulations.
JD, University of California, Berkeley
PhD, MA, Economics, University of Rochester
- In In re Optical Disk Drive Products Antitrust Litigation, provided expert support.
- In In re TFT-LCD Antitrust Litigation, served as managing expert for opt-out plaintiff groups.
- In In re Urethane Antitrust Litigation, served as managing expert for opt-out plaintiff groups. Submitted expert declarations.
- In In re Electrical Carbon Products Antitrust Litigation, served as managing expert for opt-out plaintiffs.
- In In re Methionine Antitrust Litigation, handled Daubert motions, proof of damages, and expert evidence.
- In In re Linerboard Antitrust Litigation, managed defensive discovery, expert discovery, proof of damages, and expert evidence, and handled Daubert motions.
- In In re Vitamins Antitrust Litigation, managed defensive discovery, expert evidence, proof of damages, and expert discovery, and handled Daubert motions.
- In In re Citric Acid Antitrust Litigation, developed proof of damages in an action involving claims for overcharges resulting from price-fixing by manufacturers of citric acid, an ingredient in the production of food, beverage, and laundry detergent products.
- In Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Litigation, on behalf of class plaintiffs, developed evidence of economic losses, including expert proof. Valued losses of groups of plaintiffs for allocation purposes, served as the principal author and designer of plaintiffs’ class distribution plans, and negotiated and/or litigated damages valuations for hundreds of businesses.
News & Insights
- December 3, 2008
- June 6, 2011