- Asbestos and mass tort litigation
- Due diligence
- Risk management
- Asbestos products
Peter Kelso is an expert on mass tort and product liability litigation. Mr. Kelso advises clients on identifying risks associated with emerging litigation and specializes in developing strategies to quantify, estimate, and mitigate potential damages. He provides clients with expertise in product liability litigation, insurance coverage negotiations, mergers and acquisitions, liability ring fencing activities and bankruptcy reorganizations.
Mr. Kelso has advised many of the top investment firms on Wall Street on quantifying current and future potential costs associated with asbestos claims and other mass tort and environmental litigation and has given numerous speeches for the financial and legal communities. Mr. Kelso has spoken about emerging legal issues at conferences hosted by the AEI-Brookings Institute, Goldman Sachs, Bear Stearns, Bank of America Securities, LexisNexis Butterworths, and Citigroup. Mr. Kelso currently leads a working group of top international corporations and insurers on examining the risks associated with asbestos and other toxic tort litigation.
- Managed a team of experts advising a Fortune 100 company on potential damages and liability stemming from a class action suit brought by more than 1,000 plaintiffs alleging exposure to isocyanate compounds. The analysis removed the client from the litigation by showing, in part, that a large portion of the plaintiff class had filed other personal-injury claims alleging additional injuries and exposures.
- Key advisor to corporations, insurers, and investors on the financial implications of a proposed $140 billion federal trust fund for asbestos litigation. Provided fund forecasts and liability estimates for report used by the US Senate Judiciary Committee.
- Led a joint defense group of corporations and insurers on both state and federal tort reform efforts related to asbestos litigation.
BA, History, Immaculata University
BA, Political Science, Immaculata University
- Asbestos Litigation, Attorney Advertising & Bankruptcy Trusts: The Economic Incentives Behind The New Recruitment of Lung Cancer CasesMealey’s Asbestos Bankruptcy Report, November 2013
- A 2013 Overview of Trust Assets, Compensation & GovernanceMealey’s Asbestos Bankruptcy Report, June 2013
- Asbestos litigation, bankruptcy trusts and changes in exposure allegations from 1991-2010Mealey's Litigation Report: Asbestos, October 10, 2012
- A 2012 Overview of Trust Assets, Compensation & GovernanceMealey's Asbestos Bankruptcy Report, June 2012
- The financial abuse of future claimants in the T H Agriculture & Nutrition 524(g) asbestos bankruptcyMealey's Asbestos Bankruptcy Report, November 2011
- Wilmington, DE, January 24, 2014
- New Orleans, LA, November 6, 2013
- Captiva Island, FL, May 1, 2013 – May 3, 2013
- January 8, 2013
- New Orleans, LA, May 5, 2011
- Pete Kelso participates in the panel discussion "Asbestos Trusts Round the Globe—Facts and Issues" at LexisNexis Conferences International Asbestos ConferenceLondon, England, September 29, 2009 – September 30, 2009