- Damages estimation
- False Claims Act
- Fraud analysis
- Healthcare economics
- Healthcare reimbursement
- Medical devices
- Market analysis and research
- Pharmaceutical economics
- Pharmaceutical pricing and reimbursement
- Statistical analysis
- Computer hardware and software
- Food and beverage
- Health insurance
- Medical devices
- Medicare and Medicaid
Dr. Christopher Stomberg is a cofounder of Bates White’s Healthcare & Life Sciences Practice and specializes in pharmaceutical and healthcare matters as well as statistical and econometric analysis. He received his PhD in economics from the University of California, San Diego. Dr. Stomberg has more than 20 years of experience as an economist providing expert services in antitrust litigation, fraud and False Claims Act (FCA) investigations, damages and exposure analyses, statistics, econometric modeling, and quantitative economic analyses. He has also consulted to pharmaceutical manufacturers on issues related to pharmacoeconomics and marketing performance optimization. His work with Dr. Halbert White on the detection of arterial plaques using statistical techniques on MRI images was published in a peer-reviewed journal. Prior to joining Bates White, Dr. Stomberg worked as a statistician and consultant in the computer and telecommunications industries, and as an analyst at the World Bank.
- Serving as an expert providing analysis on statistical, biostatistics, and causation issues for a medical diagnostic device manufacturer facing government investigation related to alleged FDA compliance violations.
- Retained as a testifying expert to address certain statistical questions and potential effects associated with allegedly false or misleading advertising claims on behalf of a nutritional supplement manufacturer facing government investigations.
- Authored expert report and provided deposition testimony on behalf of excess insurers involved in a coverage dispute regarding asbestos claims settled by an engineering and construction firm. Testimony covered the design and statistical analysis of a sample of settled claims at issue in order to assess the overall value of settlements tied to claimants with potential asbestos operations exposures.
- Retained as a testifying expert to comment upon statistical analyses on behalf of a pharmaceutical distributor in a matter involving allegations of inadequate diversion control for certain controlled substances.
- Retained as a testifying expert to present statistical analyses of claims data on behalf of a specialty pharmacy in a matter involving allegations of Anti-Kickback Statute violations.
- Serving as a consulting expert to support expert testimony, statistical analysis, and liability and damages analysis for a large chain of clinics in a qui tam (whistleblower) case alleging FCA violations related to its billing practices.
- Serving as lead consulting expert to provide liability and damages analysis for a major brand name pharmaceutical company in litigation alleging violations of state law in its marketing practices.
- Served as a consulting expert on behalf of an interested party to the merger of ViroPharma and Shire. Participated in and helped prepare corporate executives for meeting with the FTC.
- Served as lead consulting expert and coordinator for several expert testifiers on behalf of pharmaceutical manufacturers for alleged violations of fraud and FCA laws across a number of state-level jurisdictions. Providing data analyses and retrieval, expert analyses and industry expertise, litigation support, estimated exposure analyses, settlement support, and support for outside experts.
PhD, Economics, University of California, San Diego (with focus on econometrics)
MA, Economics, George Washington University
BA, Economics, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Health, October 2013
- Lawyer Monthly, August 2013
- Making Cold Medicine Rx Only Did Not Reduce Meth Use: Analyzing the Impact of Oregon’s Prescription-Only Pseudoephedrine RequirementCascade Policy Institute, February 2012
- October 14, 2011
- Washington, DC, November 4, 2013
- Washington, DC, October 18, 2013 – October 19, 2013
- Washington, DC, November 30, 2012
- Christopher Stomberg and Richard Manning speak at McGuireWoods’ 4th Annual Medical Device and Life Sciences ConferenceChicago, IL, November 8, 2012
- Washington, DC, October 14, 2011
- New York, NY, May 10, 2011 – May 11, 2011
- Washington, DC, October 29, 2009
- Christopher Stomberg speaks at the Interdisciplinary Centre for Competition Law and Policy's annual conferenceBrussels, Belgium, May 15, 2009
- Christopher Stomberg speaks at ACI Prescription Drug Pricing Conference on Grappling with the Uncertain Future of AWPNew York, NY, March 11, 2009 – March 12, 2009