- Alternative dispute resolution
- Commercial litigation
- Damages estimation
- Insurance allocation and valuation
- Consumer products
- Industrial products
- Pulp and paper
Charles L. Miller, Jr., JD, PhD
Charles L. (Chip) Miller, Jr.’s career has spanned economics and the law. During his 21 years practicing law, Dr. Miller specialized in developing proof of economic damages including expert evidence, estimating clients’ litigation exposure, analyzing insurance coverage and financing issues, and developing large-scale settlement programs. Currently, he is managing the expert teams in the LCDs and urethanes antitrust cases. Dr. Miller’s antitrust experience also includes the vitamins, methionine, linerboard, citric acid, lysine, and high fructose corn sweetener litigation. Other litigation experience includes the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Litigation, securities matters including an investigation by federal and state authorities of mutual fund trading, insurance coverage matters, and proceedings under the Wellington Agreement.
Before becoming an attorney, Dr. Miller was a member of the economics faculty at The Johns Hopkins University. He also developed mathematical and econometric software, and produced macroeconomic forecasts and simulations.
- In In re TFT-LCD Antitrust Litigation, serving as managing expert for opt-out plaintiff groups.
- In In re Urethanes Antitrust Litigation, serving as managing expert for opt-out plaintiff groups. Submitted expert declarations.
- In In re Electrical Carbon Products Antitrust Litigation, served as managing expert for opt-out plaintiffs. Supported testifying expert. Provided damages estimation, litigation support, and settlement support.
- In In re Methionine Antitrust Litigation, handled Daubert motions, proof of damages, and expert evidence. The case involved claims for overcharges resulting from the price-fixing of methionine, an ingredient in animal feed.
- In In re Linerboard Antitrust Litigation, managed defensive discovery, expert discovery, proof of damages, and expert evidence. Handled Daubert motions. The litigation involved claims for overcharges resulting from a cartel of integrated paper products companies.
- In In re Vitamins Antitrust Litigation, managed defensive discovery, expert evidence, proof of damages, and expert discovery. Handled Daubert motions. The case involved claims for overcharges resulting from the price-fixing of bulk vitamins used as ingredients in food, beverage, and animal feed.
- In In re Citric Acid Antitrust Litigation, developed proof of damages in an action involving claims for overcharges resulting from price-fixing by manufacturers of citric acid, an ingredient in the production of food, beverage, and laundry detergent products.
- In Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Litigation, on behalf of class plaintiffs, developed evidence of economic losses, including expert proof. Valued losses of groups of plaintiffs for allocation purposes, served as the principal author and designer of plaintiffs’ class distribution plans, and negotiated and/or litigated damages valuations for hundreds of businesses.
JD, University of California, Berkeley
PhD, MA, Economics, University of Rochester
- December 3, 2008
- Washington, DC, June 6, 2011