- Applied econometrics
- Class certification
- Damages estimation
- Healthcare reimbursement
- Market manipulation
- Pharmaceutical pricing and reimbursement
- Predictive modeling
- Automotive parts
- Pulp and paper
Arun Sharma specializes in the healthcare, life sciences, and energy sectors, where he has provided consulting services to both inside and outside counsel, industry clients, and government agencies such as the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
Mr. Sharma provides consulting and economic analyses on engagements involving mergers, health insurance plans and reimbursements, class certification, patents, pharmaceutical pricing, False Claims Act, market manipulation, unfair competition, damages assessment, fraud, energy market modeling, contract disputes, market power analysis, and other antitrust issues. Mr. Sharma has managed large and complex litigation and consulting engagements, in which he combined industry expertise with economic and statistical analyses to develop and answer relevant questions.
- In Federal Trade Commission v. St. Luke’s Health System, Ltd., lead project in support of the expert work of Professor David Dranove on behalf of the FTC and the State of Idaho. The agency, along with Idaho Attorney General and rival hospitals, challenged the acquisition of Saltzer Medical Group by St. Luke’s Health System. Provided economic analysis support on issues of market definition, competitive effects, and efficiencies. Judge B. Lynn Winmill, of the US District Court in the District of Idaho, ordered St. Luke’s to divest Saltzer Medical Group.
- In Marvin C. Weinstat v. Dentsply International, Inc., provided consulting services and supported the expert work of Dr. Eric Gaier on restitution, damages, and ascertainability of the class on behalf of Dentsply in connection with alleged violations of California’s Unfair Competition Law (UCL) and breach of warranty claims associated with certain dental ultrasonic scaling devices.
- In Center City Periodontists, P.C. v. Dentsply International, Inc., provided consulting services and supported the expert work of Dr. Eric Gaier on ascertainability of the class and class-wide damages methodologies on behalf of Dentsply in connection with alleged breach of warranty claims associated with certain dental ultrasonic scaling devices.
- Provided consulting services for Amgen, Inc. in the patent infringement suit Teva v. Amgen. Amgen obtained a favorable settlement, blocking the introduction of the infringing drug in the United States until one month before the patents at issue would expire.
- Provided consulting services to FERC in the Amaranth Advisors market manipulation case. Also supported the expert work of Dr. Kathleen King. Developed statistical analyses to identify trading patterns and price movements. Developed econometric models to analyze issues related to trading activities in energy and financial markets.
- Provided consulting and settlement support services to Dey Pharmaceuticals regarding pharmaceutical claims and pricing in United States v. Dey, Inc., and supported the expert work of Professor David Bradford. Developed economic analysis of pharmaceutical markets and reimbursements. Directed the analyses of Medicare and Medicaid data and reimbursement patterns.
- Supported expert work in the arbitration among PG&E Energy Trading – Power, L.P., Southaven Power, LLC, Caledonia Generating LLC, and National Energy & Gas before the American Arbitration Association. Engagement involved research and analysis of the electricity and natural gas markets and prices. Supervised electricity market modeling; developed and directed the damages analyses, econometric modeling, and industry research; developed models to simulate power plant operation; and provided support to the expert and counsel on discovery, evidence and testimony, and critique of opposing experts’ analyses.
- Provided consulting support to clients on multiple engagements involving pricing in the pharmaceuticals market. Developed and supervised analyses of large claims databases to understand pricing and reimbursement patterns. Developed damages calculations and provide mediation support to numerous pharmaceutical companies.
MA, Economics, University of Maryland
BA, Economics, Denison University
- April 2013
- White paper prepared for APPrO, June 21, 2006